Prolugue

The sun shines brightly over the countryside in the heart of winter. Rolling hills are covered in grass that paints the land in gold. Trees dot the rolling hills and here and there a farm dots the land with square patches of the earth clear of any plants. A single dirt road snakes between these hills and splits the golden-swathed landscape in two.

Great tension can be sensed in the air as a single carriage surrounded by a dozen dragons rushes across the land. On the run from something chasing it. Six black dragons, three white dragons, and three purple dragons. The carriage is pulled by six white horses in full canter.

A gleam of metal from the back of one of the six black dragons catches the eye as a massive shadow passes over all of them. Atop the black dragon sits a knight in armor. His eyes seem focused as he scans the horizon for anything out of the ordinary. Eleven more knights travel in the same way as this knight.

Above them, an enormous dragon's shadow completely covers the dragons and the carriage traveling by land, each time it passes the small group. Its golden eyes scan the horizon not missing a thing. Its scales are as black as the night. Its vicious hawk-like front talons are hugged tightly against its sides. Its hind legs dangle precariously behind it as it curls its claws like fists.

A snow-white unicorn with a green-cloaked figure canters next to the coach. The hood of the cloak falls open revealing golden blond locks bouncing over the shoulders of a young woman. Emerald green eyes nervously watch the sky as pink lips grimace.

"I sense danger, your majesty," she says in a clear aristocratic voice over the thundering of hooves.

"We have a Blackhawk dragon and the dragon knights, Leticia. No one shall dare to attack us" replies the king confidently.

"Nevertheless, I still sense danger. I sense a great evil at work that is beyond my skill and it is closing in fast and it does not come alone. After last evening's attack at the royal ball we are still in danger." replies Leticia. "Was it not for the young paladin named Sameth, we would have lost the dragonqueen."

"Paladins are not as powerful as the dragon knights are. I am certain that a combined effort will prove fatal for the enemy" replies the king.

"Berthos, Leticia warned us that this would happen before we left. Because of your stubbornness, our lives are in grave danger. Drachna is not a mythical creature you can take down so easily. It has harassed our kingdom for nearly twenty years now. First I was its target and now it's my daughter."

"Nonsense, Gretel. We will get to the Golden Gate on time. We will be safe."

"I don't care anymore what you think of me. Leticia, take my daughter and get out of here. Her safety is more important than our lives."

A deafening roar sounds from above. Fear etched on Leticia's face. "It is Drachna and he is not alone this time. As I said, your majesty, Rebecca is in far greater danger than you realize and a paladin knight's magic is more effective against Drachna than a dragon knight. Multiple illusions! My queen, we must hurry." Several carriages appear over the stretch of road, racing at the same speed as the original.

"You think you can fool me, Leticia Greenwood? You have thwarted me for the last time. Today you will die along with your precious king and queen and the princess shall be mine!" a dark villainous voice shouts with a magically enhanced voice that sends a chill down Leticia's spine. "Get them, but the child is mine!"

A black griffon swoops down. Its eyes shine with dark malice as its feathers gleam like oil in the glaring sunlight. "Shadow Mist!" Drachna shouts. A grey mist covers the illusion carriages ahead as the dragon knights take to arms. The Blackhawk dragon releases a massive jet of flame that devours the mist with ease.

"Smoke and mirrors!" Shouts Drachna. The Blackhawk dragon roars defiantly and orange mist escapes its maw. The dark grey mist that is enveloping the carriages lifts, but the illusions are gone and so too are Leticia and her unicorn. A black sphere appears in the black griffon's claws and he threw it as another jet of flame escapes the Blackhawk dragon's maw. So intent is the Blackhawk dragon on stopping the dark sphere that it did not notice the black griffon flying higher.

In the blink of an eye, the black griffon attacks the Blackhawk dragon from above breaking its concentration. The dark sphere makes contact with the carriage and the carriage explodes without the flames. The contents and horses are thrown through the air mercilessly. Their dying screams fill the air with the horror that is taking place. The king and queen along with their servants and horses lay strewn around the path dead and dying as their blood stains the earth and golden grass.

Drachna grips the spine of the Blackhawk dragon's neck with its beak and twists it violently. A vicious snap sounds across the landscape. The black griffon screeches victoriously as the Blackhawk dragon falls to the ground for the last time. Drachna swerves towards the mountains where the knights are engaged in combat against both dragons and griffons and the black griffon approaches as the last of the dragon knights falls victim to a group assault by three griffons. Leaving Leticia to fight alone. The knight and his dragon scream as both he and his dragon plummet to their final fate. A stream of blood follows them along with a torn dragon wing.

A child is mounted on the unicorn with her. The girl has raven black hair and a pink blush, her eyes are closed. Leticia have put the child to sleep "Get ready Glade." The unicorn snorts in reply, its hoove pawing the air impatiently as if it is standing on the ground. Dragons and griffons hover around her. She is trapped with nowhere to go.

"Just give me the child and I will let you go," says Drachna.

Leticia did not miss the gleam of malice in its eyes. "Drachna, I know a lie when I see one. How does your eye feel?" Leticia asks as she looks at the freshly scarred eyebrow and cheek of the griffon. The young paladin knight Sameth scared Drachna in their fight at the previous evening's ball to temporarily blind the griffon and provided this opportunity to escape. But the escape window was too short to reach the safety of the Golden Valley on time.

"That is none of your bus..." The griffon replies angrily.

"Glade now!" Leticia uses this small distraction to activate her escape plan.

The unicorn's horn flashes brightly blinding Drachna for a split second and when the flash of light is gone so is Leticia.

"Unicorns! I HATE THEM!" A dark sphere escapes his claws and envelopes a dragon. He watches with satisfaction as the dragon is held captive by the sphere while its life force is being drained. The dragon writhes in agony as it is held tight in the dark spell's embrace. Then its crying ceases and it plummets.

Drachna flies away followed by griffons and dragons, leaving behind the destruction as a testimony of its evil. The dead are strewn across the land destroying its serene beauty. The blood-stained grass is an angry accusation at the griffon king as yet more of his victims' blood cries for revenge on the foul evil that is Drachna.

The grass moves and shivers and from within slithers a seven-headed hydra. It spitts angrily and viciously in the direction of the griffon. Three of its heads have a fresh deep gash across the face. Blood is still streaming from the wounds.

It slithers on the road as fast as it can in the same direction the destroyed coach traveled. Its amethyst eyes are determined to reach their destination.

🐲👑🐲

Characters in order of appearance

Leticia Greenwood - Master sorceress of the Golden Valley kingdom.

King Berthos and Gretel of Black Mountain - Rebecca's parents.

Rebecca of Black Mountain - The dragonqueen and queen of the Golden Valley.