Chapter 9 - Ambush at Crowridge

The next day Earl and Rebecca are provided with the finest horses the town has to offer and provisions for the road they could spare. Rebecca wanted to pay for it but the villagers claimed that as Queen everything in the kingdom belongs to her and she can use it as she sees fit.

As they traveled from village to village over the next few days, Rebecca is astonished at the speed her rumor is spreading. The condition of the villages also did not improve. As far as Rebecca is concerned, Baron Grimston was putting extra effort into maintaining the village as best he could.

The situation in many of the villages along the way is worse. In one case an entire village has been turned into a ghost town. From the stories of the next village, they discover a crime syndicate that offers safety where the soldier's protection is a lack in a village. The syndicate used that village as an example of what would happen if they did not pay.

The town was massacred. No one was left to tell the tale of the horror that happened that day. Now people avoid the town out of fear that there might still be bandits in the town.

According to information, the syndicate's trail leads to a town called Crowridge. The town is on their path as the two of them continue their journey and inspection of the villages, towns, and farmlands.

It wasn't long before they reach the village. Two weeks after their journey started Rebecca and Earl arrive at Crowridge. Unlike the rest of the walled villages, this village wall is in pristine condition.

"Rebecca I have visited this village countless times and I have been aware of any of these activities going on," Early says.

"They would have made certain to hide this from you. They probably either threatened or paid the soldiers stationed there to keep their mouths shut. Otherwise, you would have become aware of this situation long ago, " She assures him.

The horses walk with a peaceful rhythm along the muddy dirt road. The morning's rain in the area she has seen from a distance when they approach the village has left numerous puddles. The two horses navigate their way around the puddles. With the rain clouds moving further inland the sun comes out and immediately Rebecca can feel the UV rays of the sun stinging her skin as it is reflected off the drifting clouds on them.

Then comes the flies. They are incessantly annoying. With the help of a local shrub, Earl shows her they keep the flies away from them. Beads of sweat roll down her back in the sweltering heat, creating a short reprieve from the heat as a gentle breeze blows over them.

Finally, the horses walk into the shade of the first wooden structures that mark the border of the village. The size of the village also suggests that it is more a town than a village. Rebecca urges her horse to the side as an open carriage loaded with furs passes them. The place is very busy compared to the previous villages they visited.

Several people walk up and down the streets in opposite directions. She notices a magic tool shop, tavern, seamstress, blacksmith. "Earl would you mind taking the lead before we get lost in this maze of buildings."

"Look in the dark alleys. We are being watched. Also, look at the notice board. We are wanted for treason and fraud. There is a handsome amount on our heads. We will have to watch our backs here. We stick to the plan. We don't linger in this village, we buy our supplies in the market square. Visit a local tavern to hear some news and then we leave. We find a safe spot outside the village to camp tonight. Preferably as far away from the village as possible."