Chapter 14 - The Harsh Reality of Slavery

"Rebecca, I am retiring not just because I know the kingdom is in good hands but also because I need to go on a very dangerous mission. If anyone knows what I am up to it will be certain death for me. I am going to find out if Drachna has a weakness. Many have tried to kill him and they all failed. I have heard a rumor that Drachna's mate cursed him. I want to know if this is true. If it is there is a very slim chance that he can be killed," says Leticia while relaxing in a chair in front of Rebecca's desk.

"I understand what you want to do but what about Drachna's spies?" Rebecca asks.

"I am aware of the risks but it is a risk I am willing to take. This is something you must learn. Any mission no matter how insignificant has a risk factor. I am aware that my search will leave behind a trail but it has to be done," Leticia replies.

Lisa walks in at this moment with Harold close behind her. Rebecca looks up. "Leticia please be careful. You can stay as long as needed to prepare," Rebecca replies.

"If it is alright with you I will help you settle in for the next few days and then I must take my leave," Leticia replies.

"It's fine, I am just going to finish up with Harold. You can wait or go ahead and I will join you for lunch," says Rebecca.

"Tradition dictates that lunch and dinner do not start until the queen or the highest-ranking lord or lady arrives in the dining hall and sits at the table," replies Leticia.

"Harold let's get this over with. I don't want to keep my lunch guests waiting for too long." Rebecca hands him the new decree and immediately goes over how the new decree will be implemented. Also about the information, she requires for the tax revision and to notify there will be no arrest made for tax evasion for the upcoming tax season.

Instead, soldiers will come around to ask a few basic questions about the cost of living and what people are willing to pay for the taxes. Take note that there will be no tax charge for the lower class for this season. But warn them that the soldiers will ask a few of them, questions about their basic cost of living. Ask them to be honest as the more honest they are the fairer the new tax laws are going to be. The new tax laws will be based on this new information and implemented accordingly.

Once done they both hastily make their way to the dining hall. Rebecca enters the dining hall in a rush, afraid that she may be late. The dining hall has one table set aside on a dais horizontally with places decked for all the most notable lords of the kingdom. Four long tables are vertically placed and are packed with higher-ranked soldiers and knights. There is excited chattering as they all wait to start lunch. Rebecca walks slowly to the dais with Harold next to her.

A slave pulls back her chair and silently waits behind the chair out of sight for her to sit down. Easily recognizable by the leather necklace around his neck. Only the slave's owner can free a slave from his magical binding that binds them to their owner. The hated necklace is spelled to force slaves to obey their masters even if it means their death.

The chatter dies down as she approaches the high table. Candle chandeliers hang from the ceiling and provide ample light in the hall. She sees other slaves hiding in the dark corners of the dining hall waiting to do their master's bidding at a moment's notice.

She takes her seat and a heavily muscled slave pushes her toward her plate. She thinks back. Hoping her memory would reveal how this is done. She beckons the slave to test her food and a few minutes later when all seems fine she takes the first bite of some vegetables that have been baked. She tastes a lot of herbs and spices in the food but no salt. The herbs and spices are pungent and overpower the flavor of the vegetables. She takes a bite of meat and is surprised at how tender it has been cooked. Again she is aware of a lack of salt in the food.