Chapter 19 - Weakness of the Sharkdragons

The half-constructed windmill in front of Rebecca is quartered by a wooden slat fence. Rebecca is on horseback along with her advisors and her four soldiers along with a platoon of soldiers as extra protection.

She came across this while scouring through tons of paperwork for the new tax laws. The advisors wanted to tear the contraption down. Now that she is in front of it she knows what it is.

The three sails that have been installed remind her of an airplane propeller. It takes her back to seeing the Sharkdragon at the Golden Gate. She can still hear the clear bang of the sonic boom.

"Is it possible? Can it really be that simple?" she wonders aloud.

"You know what this contraption is, your majesty?" Triston asks.

"Yes, it's a windmill. See the round stone they are busy chiseling? That's a grindstone and a very essential part of the windmill. It will crush corn into maize meal and wheat into flour. This windmill will be an asset to our kingdom. It can be done by hand but this windmill will be able to do much larger quantities," Rebecca replies.

"I take it you have come across this windmill before?" Brog asks.

"I have and I know how they work. I want to talk to the inventor. I also want the crown to support him in this project with anything he needs and have a magician assigned to help him out, please," she commands.

They see a worker on a cart coming past them bringing food and a large round wooden beam to the construction site. The six horses have a tough time pulling the cart that is weighed down by the beam.

Rebecca has been hoping to find a suitable challenge to test her magical strength. She focuses her magical energy on the wood beam. "Levitate."

She feels an instant strain on her magic. The beam is too heavy. The horses move faster as her magic handles the bulk of the weight, but it doesn't lift from the cart. Some of its weight still rests on the cart.

The cart stop and Rebecca releases her magic with a groan.

What was I thinking? At least I know my magic has grown. If I tried that in Washington. I would have ended up in the hospital.

But a few weeks ago I succeeded in a spell that was impossible for me. Freeze fall. I was able to suspend Elizabeth's full weight in midair for a few seconds.

Then again it is two completely different spells. But both spells work on the same principles. The manipulation of weight distribution. The wood beam is bigger, heavier, denser than Elizabeth, and a different element.

A man in a sweaty white shirt and brown trousers approaches them. He has a neatly trimmed mustache and beard. "Lord Triston if you are here to arrest me get it over with. The construction of the wheat crusher is well underway and can no longer be stopped."

"Kayden Carlington we are not here to arrest you. Our queen Rebecca of Black Mountain has taken an interest in your wheat crusher," Triston replies while looking down at Kayden disdainfully and pointing at Rebecca.

Rebecca dismounts and approaches Kayden. "The correct term is a windmill, Kayden. I have come across it before and I know what it does. I am not here because I am interested but also to offer the crown's help."

Kayden narrows his eyes suspiciously at Rebecca. "Your majesty we are doing well without your help. Why would you want to help me now?"

"Because I want you to build more of them in every major city and village in the kingdom where wheat and corn farms are abundant. You will be well paid to do this. In the future, if you have an invention you want to build you need to ask permission for it to be built. Do not be shy to bring your idea to me on court day or ask for me any time. I will decide what will work. It will also be a good idea if you can bring a sketch or model of the invention you are planning. I will even go so far as to assign you an office and workshop in the castle. Kayden you are an immense asset to the kingdom and I do not want you to stop what you are doing," Rebecca says.