Chapter 4 - The Edge of Vengance

Rebecca stirs from her sleep hoping to hear the telltale sound of traffic rushing by in the street. To her disappointment, she hears the sounds of horses and is greeted by the musty smell of dust. She opens her penetrating silver eyes and is met with disappointment as she finds herself in the same strange room.

She did not feel like getting out of bed. She stares up at the wooden ceiling. Feeling the grip of cold dread closing in on her. Tears silently roll down her cheeks. Why is this happening to her? She feels alone, lost, and without purpose. The heavy wooden door opens and she hears a pair of metal boots walk into her room. Rebecca closes her eyes and holds herself in a natural sleeping motion. She is not in the mood for strangers today.

"Ouch!" Searing pain flares through her left hand above the cover as if she has just been bitten by a bird. Her eyes fly open to finds herself staring at a very strange falcon that reminds her of one of those cool-looking animal wallpapers that she could download on her phone. Thinking of her phone. Where is the thing by the way? It won't have a signal, but she can still take photos and listen to music.

"I know you are awake Rebecca. My paladin guide has been watching you since dawn. Now get up and get dressed. I want to see for myself if you can fight with that strange sword you wrangled from Grendel yesterday. Nox and I will return to Ristheart as soon as Leticia is ready to head out to the Golden Gate with you. She needs to get you beyond the gate as soon as possible. The longer you remain outside the Golden Valley the greater the danger."

Rebecca sends her a venomous glare and turns on her other side, but her rebellious streak is short-lived as the golden falcon bites mercilessly on her ear sending her flying out of bed.

"Are you a drill Sargeant or something?!" Rebecca demands.

"It kind of happens when you have five children. Lying in bed and moping is not going to count in your favor. You have a kingdom counting on you and if you don't stop moping you will have blood on your hands and it will be your own doing and unfortunately for you, you are the Golden Valley's only heir."

"Then why is it that a trial is being held to find the real dragonqueen."

"Because it has been twenty years since you have been sent to the future. The Golden Valley has been without a legitimate ruler for twenty years. Your people have grown restless and need you to return. They need their leader, Rebecca. They need you. Your father's advisors have ruled the kingdom in your stead for twenty years. Now you are of the age to take the reigns of your kingdom back and keep it from tumbling down a sheer cliff. I understand that did not have the life of a princess in the future. But you have learned things that will help you in the tremendous task that has been laid before. They are counting on you to minimize the damage the advisors have done to the kingdom. Their solution to every problem has always been just to raise taxes. They don't listen to what the people need. The only thing they care about is their own pockets. Do you really want to be responsible for rebellion and civil war in your kingdom that will cause the death of thousands of your people?" Marilyn finish.

Rebuked, Rebecca stares down at the wooden floor. Unable to lash back at Marilyn. What she says makes sense. The rebellion she feels towards Leticia suddenly seems foolish and childish.

"Who tells you I am the real deal? Some magic fox that you see as some kind of deity?" Rebecca grabs at straws.

"Leticia, Lisa, King Arnoldus, Arwin, and I are the only people who hold the knowledge that you have been sent to the future."

"How can you be sure it is me and not someone else?" The last spark of hope still beating inside her.

"I saw you when you were five years old for the first time. Yes, you cut your long raven black hair into that men's style, but it is still an adult version of the five-year-old I saw. There is no mistake," Marilyn replies.