Chapter 10 - Winterfall City

Rebecca stares at the people around her perplexed. She has no idea what to say. She hears the rumors and straightens herself slowly. She folds back the helmet of her arcane armor and it disappears into the rest of her armor.

"Greetings to all the citizens of Crowridge. I know many of you are wondering why I have not shown my face for twenty years. I am also certain that you wish to know what I have been doing in that time. When my parents died I was too young and too naive to rule a kingdom. Leticia organized that the advisors ruled in my stead. Unfortunately due to a lack of leadership, the castle vaults have been raided by pirates. Whatever the truth may be. This kingdom is in a deep economic crisis that needs the right guidance to get it back on its feet. I want us to work together to bring this kingdom back from certain doom. I hope that I can count on your cooperation to rebuild what has been lost and insure that this tragedy does not occur again. Please excuse us. Earl, lead the way please."

Earl makes a path through the crowd of people towards the archway in the square. He stops in front of the arch.

"Due to unrest in the city, both gates inside the castle courtyard and the square markets are shut. The only open gateway is through the commoner's fountain square. Winterfall City!" The gate before Earl shimmers like a sheet of glass and the scene through the gate changes from business shops in the background to disheveled and broken down wooden homes.

Earl's steps through the gate holding the reigns of his horse. Rebecca follows and as she passes through, it feels like walking through a thin sheet of water. Her horse follows her as she gently tugs on its reigns. Once her horse clears the gate. It shimmers and returns to an empty arch standing alone.

"I suggest you mount your horse and follow me. Keep your armor active. It will help. Trust me," says Earl.

Rebecca mounts her horse and Earl leads them past a heap of something that reeks of death. On closer examination, she notices a dead dog in the middle of the street.

"Why is there a dead animal in the middle of the street?" she asks.

"They do this to keep noble lords from staying too long and also to try and keep the tax collectors away. The stench alone is enough to ensure they do not linger in this place too long. This way." Earl replies and he steers his horse around a corner.

After another right and left they end up in a wide dirt street. Horse carts, carriages, people, and riders travel back and forth on this road in a constant stream of movement. Earl falls in behind a carriage that has a raven symbol engraved on its side. Earl urges his horse into a trot and Rebecca follows his example.

"Rebecca, I need you to take the lead from here. You are about to draw a lot of attention with that cape hanging from your arcane armor. The Fiery Dragon has claimed you queen of the land and it is proclaimed by the royal crest emblazed in gold on a blood-red full-length sleigh. Keep this speed and stay on this road. It leads straight to the castle." Earl falls back to flank her from her right side at the same pace.

The hooves of their horses clop rhythmically on the dirt road. The second defense wall comes into view. She looks over her shoulder and notices that another armor-clad soldier has joined on Earl's left. She looks back to the front and notices the portcullis in front of them is shut. As they come closer a blue ruin lights up on the wall above her. The closed portcullis comes to life and opens by raising from the ground.

The change as they pass the gate is dramatic. The buildings are in better condition as she sees more stone structures than wooden structures. She realizes that these are middle-class residents. The road continues in a straight line. She starts to notice people pointing and staring at her. She decides to keep her eyes on the road and cranes her neck as she tries to see the castle.