The Hardest Part

I always walk away from my problems. It was one of my worst traits. Unhappy? Just walk away and forget them. I pulled jacket closer to my body as the cold air nipped my face like an unpleasant dream. Winter was here and it made sure I knew it. Christmas lights were strung from the gutters of houses and many Christmas decorations scattered across white tipped lawns. It wasn't snowing, but the grass was frozen stiff and the dew drops had frozen white. 

I always hated Christmas. Of course, I never had any reason to. Only our mom gave us presents and they were usually pieces of shit. Our holiday dinners were always stiff and awkward. Our cook made our food, which was alway tasteful and pleasant. But the atmosphere was about as tight as my mothers botoxed face. It was always as cold as the air outside. Not because the heaters were off or the fire wasn't lit. It was because of the cold between our family as we glared at each other across the table. The mahogany table was always set for twelve. However, no one ever came to see us. The only times we sat together was a family was at holidays. My brother and I would sit across from each other in the middle and my parents would sit at each far end of the table. They were trying to keep their distance I suppose. The table was too big for a family of four. Each of the other eight chairs were empty, like always. Thanksgiving and Christmas were never joyous occasions. Even birthdays were spent alone. The unconditional love of a family was never there to comfort me on the night that I would by myself a slice of cake and wish myself a happy birthday. 

I glanced around myself once more and realized I had made it to the lower end of the town. I walked towards Eat it and looked inside the window. 

Janey was working.

I hadn't talked to her since we fought.

I stepped in and the bell jingled. Her bright eyes met mine and turned stone cold. I ignored her and made my way to the back after grabbing my apron. I wasn't due to work today but I didn't care. I owned the damn place now. I could do what I wanted. 

Janey ignored me and I ignored her. Seems like all my relationships are going down hill lately. First Janey, then Xavior, and of course Kelsey hates me now. Looks like I am just a mess. I don't think Jenny is exactly happy that I slept with her boyfriend, but at least I didn't do it on purpose. 

Guess I'm spending the holidays alone this year. 

Everyone hates me. Including myself.

I worked amongst the other ladies making the treats. Janey would yell back at us about the things that were low and I continued to make them. 

I paid everyone still, I paid them and the bills. I answered letters and took phone calls for people who wanted special cakes and such.

It brought me back to when Landon wanted me to make a special cake for Janey to purpose to her. I failed at that by not doing it. 

I heard Landon's loud and obnoxious voice as he walked into the store as he greeted his soon to be bride. I leaned on the door frame with a mixing bowl in hand and I stirred it while watching them embrace. He pulled out a flower from his suit pocket and gave it to her.  

"For my soon-to-be bride." He said and she took it gracefully. Landon's eyes met mine and his eyes widened. 

"Damn Lillian! You've really filled out!" He yelled as he hugged me awkwardly. I wasn't sure if it was because of the bowl or my growing belly.

"That isn't what most girls want to hear, Landon!" I rolled my eyes and turned around into the kitchen. 

"How's the wedding planning. Xavior doesn't talk about it much."

"Oh, it's going. I just hired a wedding planner."

"Congrats. When's the little bugger do?" I rolled my eyes.