Chapter 2

They look up at me with a smile on their faces. "Good morning Brailyn." They sang in unison then looked at each other smiling. They were made for each other. Relationship goals for if I am every ready to put myself out there.

" Good morning you two, It's time to get to work now, if we're late again we might have to fire ourselves." I give them an eyebrow wiggle and a giggle. They kiss once more as we walk to the elevator and say their goodbyes. I wait awkwardly holding the door open for them. 

On the way down we talk about what we did last night. Me, I just stayed on my couch and watched reruns of on television snuggled up to Zeke. I know it's pathetic but I love being at home.

"Oh, I almost forgot, I am wanting to throw Keilan a surprise party for his birthday next month and I really need your help with everything. Please, Please, Please. You are the best at this stuff and I am.. well I'm not." We approach my metallic black and chrome 1978 truck. I am a sucker for older trucks. I have put a lot of money into it to restore it to working order. I bought it for dirt cheap from an impound lot that was going to have it crushed. You could never tell it looked so rough after I fixed it up.

" Depends on what I have to do because I know you and how you always want to go all out for your parties." I smile at her as we get in the truck and she gives me a grimace. That's just her. She is one of those "Go big or go home" type of people. Her enthusiasm is what makes me love her even more.

"Just help me with decorations and stuff. It will be at our apartment so, nothing to big." Did she just say "nothing to big" because, everything this woman does is big. She gives me a pout and of course, I have to say yes. This is one of my best friends we are talking about. 

" Oh my gosh, Did I tell you there was a new firefighter that joined Keilans fire house?" She looks at me with a big grin. "Him and Keilan have been at the apartment playing games everyday. They are getting really close. You should come over and meet him."

"No you didn't, but let me guess he is so gorgeous." I joke with wide eyes and a sarcastic tone. She gives me the look and we both start laughing. She is always trying to set me up with someone new. She said that she wants me to experience the feeling she has when she is with Kielan. She was lucky when she found him but there aren't many guys like him anymore. I guess that's what makes me love her so much. She just wants to see me happy again but I am happy, by myself and I am in no hurry to jump into something that is going to break me even more. I am just now to the point where I can love myself again.

As we pull up to the four story glass building, we see the parking lot almost full. Good thing we own it so we have our own parking spot. We get out and grab our things still talking about the party. As we go inside and get on the elevator Chris our security guard catches us.

"Brailyn, I just wanted to give you a heads up. Drake was sick this morning and sent Braden to stand in for him." He has a worried look on his face. Chris has been with us from the start so knows about my past with Braden because he came here to beg for my forgiveness when I wouldn't call him back. " Ok, I appreciate the warning Chris, thank you so much." I look into his gray eyes then put my head down. How I am going to get through a meeting with Braden, I have no clue.

Drake is our manager at our building on the other side of the state. We hired him about a year ago when we opened it up. So far, he has done a great job. We have almost doubled our profits.

We walk in the meeting room and there he is, Braden. He was my high school sweetheart. I thought we were going to be together forever. I was so happy with him but also blind to what was really going on. We were always together and everyone told us we made a great couple.