Chapter 9

3 months later

I feel really good today. I am ready to conquer the world. My thoughts of Braden have long passed. Keilan and Hailie do their usual kiss and we head to her car. We got there and went to the morning meeting then I went to my office to do some more paperwork. My phone rings, when I answer it Kaiden is on the line.

"Brailyn, hey um, how are you?" Me and Kaiden have gotten a lot closer since the incident. He calls every night to make sure I made it home and ask how my day was. It is really sweet and I know, it is pissing Ashley of that much more.

"I am absolutely great Kaiden, how are you doing." I put some extra enthusiasm in my voice.

" I am glad to hear that. I feel bad asking you this because I know you have a lot going on but, I can't think of anyone else. So, here goes. I need a really big favor." I wait for him to tell me. After a brief silence he continues.

"Will you please throw a welcome home party for Ashley? You throw the best parties. I was amazed at all you did for Keilan at the fire station. Please. I know its a little late but, I just needed to make sure she was going to be around long enough to spend time on this." He waits for my answer now.

I threw a party for all the fire men a few weeks back, to thank them for all they do. I don't like to brag but I got to say, it was kind of epic.

I really don't want to throw a party for a woman that I don't trust, I am jealous of because she has, both Emma and Kaiden, I hate her attitude toward me and every one that I care about and I just hate her in general. I shouldn't have to have a legit reason when it comes to her. I have had to bite my tongue so many times over the last three months, I swear it should be gone.

I need to be an adult about this, though. I can do this. People are nice to people they hate all the time, right? I can do this without sticking a knife in her eye, right? I am so petty.

" Yeah sure, when is the party going to be, what theme are you wanting or do you want certain colors. I mean how are you wanting it to look." I get a pen and paper ready.

"I want to have it this weekend if that is possible. Her favorite color is yellow so, I need you to do something with yellow and I already rented the community center for it so you don't have to worry about getting a place. I will e-mail you the guest list if that is alright with you. Thank you for doing this. I know you two have your differences so thank you."

"Ok, I will have it done for you this weekend, Kaiden" I tell him as I write down yellow. " Thank you again for this. I really owe you after this." He nervously laughs.

"I'll do anything for you and Emma, Kaiden. I hope you know that." I hang up before I say something I will regret. My feelings for him are getting stronger. I know that he is with Ashley now but, it doesn't stop me from wishing he was with me.

The day goes by fast because I am busy trying to get everything together. I have to work fast to get everything prepared. He only gave me five days notice. This is going to be a challenge but I am always up for a challenge.

I call the baker to get the cake and start putting names on the invitations. Printing them off and hoping they get to the guests in time. All I can do is my best.

The week flies by with all the work I have to do. I go after work everyday to decorate and get everything perfect. I may not like Ashley but party planning is my second favorite thing to do. I have one more day to get everything done before the party. She is Emma's mom so I can't half ass do this.

I see Ashley playing with Emma at the park, sometimes, when I go for my runs. Emma seems happy and based on what Kaiden has been telling me, she is really trying to be a good mom. I know Emma is not my daughter but it's not right for her to have people that can just walk out of her life at anytime, without a thought as to how it affects her. Kaiden may have forgiven her but I still don't feel right about her. I head home for the night to see my Zeke baby.