⇢ 7 ; closer

why not upload before and after my lesson?

(WEEKS LATER)

The holiday break was rapidly approaching, and it was already mid-December. We had one more day of school and lessons before the weekend, and parent pick up was on Monday for the students who were going home for the holiday. I was one of those students.

Lucky for me, Abby and Amelia were both staying at the academy, so they were switching off working Hope for me. But it gave me a chance to work with some of our horses back home.

"Ready to eat?" Bridget said, swinging her bag over her shoulder.

"Yeah," I smiled, zipping up my boot and getting my back pack. There wasn't any snow, but every morning there was frost, and the grass crunched under our feet as we headed to Student Support. I grabbed a muffin and we headed over to history to get the day started. When we got to the building, I slid into my usual seat next to Noah and he slid me a hot drink.

"For me?" I asked, picking it up.

"Mmhmm," he said, taking a sip of his own. I took a sip and the warm hot chocolate flooded my mouth.

"Wow, I really needed this," I smiled. "Thanks."

The rest of the school day was fairly boring. We just watched movies all day, and when it was finally time for lunch, I was bored out of my mind. As we ate, I restlessly tapped my fingers against the table.

"Are you alright?" Abby asked.

"I need to get out of this place," I groaned. "We've been cooped up all day with nothing to do."

"Go to the dorm and get changed," Bridget said. "I'll be there in a minute."

I scooped up my bag and raced over to the dorm, quickly changing into maroon breeches and a thick white long sleeved shirt. I zipped my tall boots up and was braiding my hair back when Bridget walked in.

"What took you so long?" I asked as I secured the braid in.

"Ethan walked me over," she said, quickly changing into her riding clothes. Oh yeah, that was something new. Apparently Ethan and Bridget had gotten really close out side of the crew, and they were now actually dating. "Speaking of boyfriends, when are you and Noah going to finally get together? You guys practically act like you're dating anyways."

"What? No we don't," I said before I took a sip of water.

"Um, okay," she grinned. "Say that to the hot chocolate he gets you almost every morning. And how he always walks you to class when you're in the same building. Or when he-,"

"Okay, I get it," I said. "I don't know. Can we go to the barn now?"

She grabbed her Student ID and we rushed over to the barn. She got Scarlet ready in her stall while I pulled Hope out into the cross ties. After she was all groomed, I centered a maroon saddle pad on her back with a white half pad. I got her saddle and breastplate on before putting her leather jumping boots on and slipping her bridle on. I grabbed my jumping vest before Bridget gave me a leg up. I adjusted my stirrups then started Hope's warm up as we headed to the course.

"Hey, Kat," Cami said when i got down there. Cami's been helping out with the cross country classes, but more than once a week she just happens to be accompanying my team.

"Hey, Cami," I smiled, riding up to her. "How's Mason?"

Yet another couple who is together. Cami and Mason got back together mere weeks after her arrival.

"He's good," she smiled. "Noah?"

"We're not dating!" I exclaimed, looking away with a grin.

"Mhmm," she joked. "Just know I have him last class."

"You cause too much trouble," I joked, and we walked over to Anne, who was adjusting her hat atop her head.

"Hello, ladies," she greeted.

"Hey Anne," I smiled. "What are you doing for the holidays?"

"I'm heading to my boyfriend and his parent's house a few miles out of town," she replied. "What about you? Are you heading home?"

"Yeah, on Monday," I said. Once everyone on the team arrived, we began our lesson.

"Today we're working on timing, so we're not gonna use the solid jumps," Anne explained. "We'll be heading up to one of the sand arenas and working up there. I'll meet you there in ten minutes, Cami will lead you there."

Abby and I chatted as we followed Cami up to the arena. When we got there, Cami told us to start warming up so I did just that. We trotted circles, worked on transitioning, and did a few serpentines before Anne arrived.

The actual lesson was pretty boring, it was pretty much a show jumping class, but it was great to finally be out of a classroom and do something worth doing.

During dressage, Mason had me re-do the test that Hope threw me off during, and we aced it.

"That was better than last time's," Noah said when I stood Hope next to him. I watched as Ethan re-did his test.

"Yeah, you think?" I laughed. "Hey, what day are you going home? Sunday or Monday?"

"Oh," he said, his face dropping. "Actually, I can't go home anymore. My parents had a last minute business trip and can't get home in time to spend the holidays with me."

I thought for a minute. "Why don't you come to North Carolina with me? I'm sure my parents wouldn't mind, they would just have to make a few calls."

"Kat, you don't have to do that," he said. "Thanks for the offer though."

"No, you shouldn't have to stay here for the holidays!" I said. "Please. Let me at least talk to my mom."

"Fine," he said. "But aren't some of your friends staying here?"

"Yeah," I said. "But they also live closeby so their families will come get them for the actual holiday. Abby's also working over vacation to help pay for some tuition."

-

"Hi Mom," I said into my computer after I FaceTimed her.

"Hey, honey," she smiled. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I just wanted to ask you something," I took a deep breath. "My friend Noah can't go home for the holidays so I was wondering if he could come with us."

"Hmm," she thought. "I don't see what's wrong with that. Where would he sleep? I certainly won't let him sleep in your room."

"I was thinking Kelsey's room," I said. "She can sleep with me for all I care."

Kelsey was my ten year old sister.

"I think that would work," she said. "Sure, I'll talk to your dad and we'll plan to include him. Maybe I can get in touch with his parents so we can get some of his gifts over."

"Thanks Mom," I smiled into the phone. "I'll see you in two days."

"Bye, honey, I love you," she said.

"I love you too," I said before ending the call. This would be an interesting Christmas