⇢ 10 ; christmas morning

I woke up at four-thirty to bring all the gifts upstairs from the basement. I neatened the living room, turned the Christmas tree on, and straightened up the first floor from the party last night. By six, everyone was still asleep, so I made coffee, hot chocolate, and oatmeal. I suddenly get startled by a pair of warm arms wrapped around my waist.

"Noah!" I exclaimed quietly, trying not to wake my family. "What are you doing up?"

"I heard you in here," he said.

"Oh, I am so sorry for waking you up," I frowned. "I was trying to be quiet."

"Don't worry about it," he said, kissing the top of my head. "More time with you."

I smiled and turned around, wrapping my arms around him. He put his chin on my head and I closed my eyes, taking in his faint smell of horses and cotton.

"Santa came!" Kelsey yelled, making me and Noah jump apart. She sprinted into the living room, almost knocking a lamp over, and sat down right in front of the tree. "Kathy, can I open them? Can I open them?"

"Kelsey, quiet your voice," I shushed, dragging her away from the tree. "We need to wait for Mom and Dad to wake up. Have some breakfast."

I pushed her over a bowl of oatmeal and she ate it within seconds. "Now can I open them?" she asked.

"Wait for Mom and Dad," I repeated, and started making Noah some coffee. He took the mug from me and took a blissful sip.

"This is the best coffee I've ever had," he said.

"You're welcome," I laughed. I made up some hot chocolate for me, then Kelsey started complaining when I didn't give her any, so I made her some with a bunch of marshmallows piled up high. With her occupied, Noah and I were able to bring my Mom and Dad fresh hot coffee.

"You guys are the best," Mom said, taking the coffee from me. "I'm guessing Kelsey wants to open presents?"

"Yup," I said. "You should probably get up now."

There was a crash in the kitchen, and Noah and I rushed out to find Kelsey sitting on the ground with marshmallows scattered around her.

"I wanted more marshmallows," she said, taking handfuls from the floor and stuffing them in her overfilled drink.

Mom and Dad came wandering into the kitchen, groaning at the mess. "We'll take care of this," Dad smiled. "Could you just go feed the horses and give them some extra hay and water?"

"Yeah," I said, handing Noah my dad's muck boots. I slid my own worn boots on and we headed outside to spread hay, refill water, and feed. Once we were done, we wandered back inside where we started opening gifts.

Kelsey kept wanting to open her gifts, so we let her. After she opened her last gift, a Breyer model horse, there was a knock at the door. I jumped up and opened it.

"Mom?" Noah asked when I opened the door.

"Noah!" the woman stepped in with a guy, who appeared to be her husband. Noah rushed over to them and crushed them both in a hug.

"Oh, I've missed you so much," he said. "Why didn't you tell me you were coming?"

"We wanted to keep it a secret," Mom said. "We thought you should spend Christmas with your family, so we brought them here!"

-

A while later, we were still opening gifts, even if there were very few left. I had gotten a ton of new riding clothes, a new bridle, a pair of Dublin boots, new leather jumping boots, and (of course) two rhinestone studded saddle pads, one black and one maroon. I also got a few other things.

"I have a gift for you," I said, turning to Noah. I pulled out a small box and handed it over to him. He carefully removed the lid and pulled out an engraved key chain. On it, there was an engraved show jumper, and underneath the horse it read 'Comet'. 

"Kat, this is awesome!" he said, hugging me. "I love it! Now for your gift."

He pulled out an equally small box and handed it to me. I opened it, revealing two Alex & Ani bracelets, One with a cross country jumper and the other with a horse galloping. 

"Noah..." I said, for once speechless. "This is beautiful!"

I slipped the bracelets on and leaned over and kissed him, not caring that our parents were sitting mere feet from us. After we had finished exchanging gifts, we all helped clean up the wrapping and the living room. 

"Okay, Noah, I think it's time for us to head home," Noah's mom said after we finished lunch. "Our flight leaves at two."

Noah turned to me. "Do I have to go?"

"I think you should go spend some time with your family," I said. "Come on, I'll help you pack up."

We walked into Kelsey's room and packed his things. "I've really had the best few days with you," he said.

"I have too," I said. "But it's time for you to see your parents. I'm all yours at school."

"I guess you're right," he groaned. "I just don't wanna leave you."

"In a week, you'll be able to see me," I said, bringing him outside by a taxi that was waiting.

"This better be the fastest damn week of my life."

MSRA ⇢ Starting Newजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें