⇢ 13 ; honest

A few days later, classes started back up, and everyone was surprisingly cheery. It was a new year, people were trying to make a change for the better.

That was until teachers announced that midterms were next week.

"We start studying tonight," Noah told me.

"Studying," Bridget said to Ethan, holding up her fingers as quotation marks.

"Shut up, Bridge," I laughed, then turned back to Ethan. "Sure."

All we did in our academic classes today was get outlines, notes, study packets, and our midterm assignments. In creative writing, I have to write a two thousand word short story.

"How was your day?" Noah asked as I picked at my salad.

"It was okay. I can't wait to get in the saddle though," I said. "What about you?"

Noah and I had started eating outside to get more privacy from our friends and their jokes and teasing. We didn't get enough alone time anyways.

"Good," he said. "For equine anatomy, we have to make 3D standing models of a horse out of craft items. Someones somehow using hot glue, and it looks so cool. I'm using pipe cleaners."

"Sounds fun," I smiled. "I'm taking that class next semester."

"It is fun," he said. "But hard. But you'll do fine, you and that brilliant mind of yours."

I smiled again and leaned into him, his strong arm going around my shoulders. We sat like this for a few minutes before it was time to get ready for riding. We walked hand in hand to the barn, but split when we had to get our horses ready.

I was a few minutes early (as usual) to the course, but Anne and Cami were already there talking.

"Hey, Kathleen," Anne said when she was me ride up. "Ready for midterms?"

"Oh, um," I started. "Are those today?"

"No," Anne laughed. "Didn't mean to scare you. They're next week."

I noticed how her usual navy blue vineyard vines hat was replaced by a teal one. She must've gotten it for Christmas.

"Okay," I said, taking a breath. "Yeah I think we'll be ready."

"Good," she said, coming over and patting Hope. "Because even though I don't want to lose you as a rider , I think you have a strong chance of moving up a team."

At this point, there were groups of people riding down, so Anne just winked and backed away from me. Abby rode up next to me on Mojo.

"What was that about?" she asked.

"Nothing," I smiled, shaking my head. Anne started explaining how the midterms would go. We would do the same fitness testing as the beginning of the year. The person who improved the most would move up a team. The person who improved the least would move down. The only difference is that we would also have to do a full run of the longest course.

"It's stiff competition," Anne explained. "Work your hardest and do your best. For the next week, I'm giving you all free rein. If you need to work on stamina or jumping, go up with Cami to the sand arenas and work on it there. If you need to work with running the course, stay here and we can do that."

I thought for a moment. Hope's in perfect shape and her jumping's not too bad, so I'll run through the course.

"Ready?" Anne asked as I trotted over to the starting gate.

"Let's go," I smiled, then pushed Hope into a canter. We had a fairly smooth ride, just a bit of hesitation going in and through the water jumps. Other than that, we had a great run.

I wandered up to the sand arenas to work a bit on jumping. I was constantly working on steadying my legs and giving enough release, but other than that, I felt fairly confident in our skills. After working a bit on some stamina training, it was time for my next class.

In dressage, our midterm was a test. In our class, whoever got the highest score aced the exam. Then for each percent lower everyone else gets, there is a certain amount of points taken off.

In show jumping, our midterm was also fairly similar. We had to run a course, and whoever had the fastest time aced it, and there was a certain amount of points taken off for each second behind.

-

(A FEW DAYS LATER)

"You spend too much time with Noah," Bridget complained as we sat on my bed watching Grey's Anatomy.

"Says you?" I said. "You ditched me at breakfast this morning to go see Ethan."

"You ditched me at lunch," she countered. "And during dressage. And while we were doing homework."

"Okay, okay," I said as I paused the show. "Where are you going with this?"

"I'm just saying we don't get to hang out a lot anymore. School started a few days ago and we've hung out twice," she said.

"Yeah, you're right," I said. "Fine. How about, breakfast and lunch are for each other. We can see our boyfriends any time else, but breakfast and lunch are our times."

"I could do that," Bridge smiled. "Thanks. I just don't want us drifting apart."

"Oh, I don't think we have to worry about that," I said, leaning my head on her shoulder. "You're my best friend. I won't give up that easy."

"Awh, Kat," she smiled. "What would I do without you?"

"I have no clue," I laughed. "We'd both be messes without each other."

"This is true," she giggled. "How would we have gotten the nerves to talk to our boys?"

"How would we have survived the first week of school?" I suggested.

"Oh, that was bad," she laughed. "Imagine history class without each each other."

"Oh no!" I burst out laughing. We kept listing off things we couldn't do without each other.

"I'm glad to have you as my best friend," I said.

"Me too," she said, and we continued watching TV together.