⇢ 8 ; finally

"Are you sure they're okay with this?" Noah asked for the billionth time.

"Yes," I laughed. "You're more than welcome."

"Okay," he mumbled, pulling his bag up higher on his shoulder.

"You'll get to meet all my other horses," I grinned, looking over at him. "I'll probably have you ride Kingston. Or maybe Dandelion."

Just then, my dad's truck pulled up to the dorm. "That's us," I said, pulling my suitcase up. Noah held the door open for me as I stepped into the sharp, cold air that surrounded us.

My dad stepped out of the truck and came over to me. "Kathleen!"

"Dad!" I said, letting my suitcase go and giving him a huge. "It's been so long! I've missed you!"

"We've missed you too," he smiled. "And you are?"

"Oh, this is Noah," I said. "Noah, this is my dad."

"Nice to meet you sir," Noah said, giving his hand a shake. "Thank you for letting me spend the holidays with you."

"Not a problem," Dad smiled. "Now lets get you two home."

-

Hours later, we pulled up to my house and barn. There were Christmas lights strung up on the house and on the barn, illuminating the little snow we had.

"It's nice to be home," I said as we stepped into the cozy house. "Come on, Noah, I'll show you your room."

I led him down a hallway and into my sister's room.

"Mind the pink," I laughed as he set his bag down on the bed.

"No, I love it," he laughed. "Thank you so much, again."

"Don't worry about it," I smiled. "So, I was going to get changed and head out to ride, if you wanted to join me?"

"Of course," he said.

"Okay," I said. "I'll be back in five minutes."

I headed into my room and quickly got changed into riding clothes. After I secured my scarf around my neck, I went over to Noah's room and knocked on the door.

"You ready?" I asked.

"Yeah," he said as he opened the door. "Lead the way."

I led him out the back door and over to the barn, where all the horses were happily shut inside on this cold day.

"I'll have you ride Kingston," I said, bringing him over to the big thoroughbred my dad bought a few years ago. "He's my dad's, mostly dressage but he can jump too. But we probably won't jump today, it's too cold."

I brought out all his tack and Noah started getting him ready. I then started getting Moose, my chocolate coloured warmblood gelding, ready.

"Hey Moosey Moo," I said as I brushed him. "I haven't seen you in so long! Don't worry, I'm taking good care of your girlfriend."

Noah started laughing as I continued talking to my horse.

"Hi Kathleen, hi Kathleen's friend," I heard a small voice enter the barn.

"Kelsey!" I said, turning around to see my little sister heading towards me. She ran over and hugged me. "I haven't talked to you in forever!"

"Can I ride with you guys?" she asked, pointing to Kingston.

"Sure, but let me introduce you to Noah, my friend," I said bringing her over to him. "Noah, this is my little sister Kelsey."

"Hello, Kelsey," he said. "I love the colour of your room."

"You like the colour pink?" Kelsey asked, her eyes getting huge. "I didn't think boys could like the colour pink."

"Well I love it," he smiled.

"Kels, why don't you go get Confetti ready to ride?" I asked. "Don't forget to use a half sheet, it's cold out."

She ran off to her flea-bitten grey Connemara's stall and started getting him ready. After I finished grooming Moose, I tacked him up and got him ready for a light ride. I helped Kelsey get Confetti together, and the three of us all brought our horses into the slightly snowy outdoor ring.

"How do you like him?" I asked Noah after we had been riding for a few minutes. Kelsey zipped by us at a quick pony trot, and she bouncily posted along for the ride.

"He's fun," Noah said. "I like him."

"Wait until you canter him," I said, turned Moose away to continue working with him. Noah kissed Kingston into a canter and his face immediately lit up.

"This is so smooth!" he laughed, doing a circle to avoid hitting Kelsey. He continued cantering around for a few more circles before he slowed into a trot, then a walk. I kissed Moose into a canter. He had a smooth canter too, but no horse would ever be as smooth as Kingston.

After about an hour of riding, we dismounted and cooled the geldings down with cooling blankets. We walked around the ring together after Kelsey was done, and we just talked.

"Thanks again for having me over," Noah grinned at me. "I'm having a great time so far."

"Well, I'm glad you're here," I smiled, looking away. A piece of hair fell from my braid so I tucked it behind my ear.

"You know..." he said. "We have gotten settled back at school." I looked over at him. "And we have gotten to know each other a lot better."

"Are you sayin-."

"I'm saying that I want to go out with you," Noah said. "If you agree with me and think that we can make a relationship work, then I want to go out with you."

I smiled and looked over at him. "I would love to go out with you."

"So, it's official?" he asked, stopping Kingston to look at me.

"It's official," I said, then leaned in to kiss him to really seal the deal.

sorry this is a short chapter, i lost inspiration part way through. but a lot happened during it!