Part nine - damaged goods.

DARYLS POV:

We made our way into the convenience store, Beth still gripping firmly onto me.

"You know you're making this hard" I say glancing at our interlocked hands.

"Oh, yeah, sorry" Beth says to herself releasing hold of my clammy hand.

I was right, this store was full of food, it was quite a large store so I thought it would be best to split up. There was no sign of walkers so I was sure Beth would be safe.

"Oh my gosh!" I heard Beth shout out in joy.

"Beth?" I called out heading for the sound of her voice.

"Over here, I -- I found something" she says as I make my way over to her.

"What is it?" I gruffled, she was blocking my view to whatever it was, as if she didn't want me to see it. "Beth?" I ask again, in frustration. What was she hiding from me?

"You probably don't want to see" she says shooing me away. I was confused, what could it be?

"Beth let me past" I brush past her, she jokily pushes me away.

"Right that's it" I say amusingly.

I pick Beth up by her waist, she wraps her legs around me.

"Daryl stop" she says giggling, trying to wriggle away. Eventually I put her down and walk over to the crate of whatever she was hiding.

Tampons.

"Tampons?" I grunt.

"Sorry, I haven't seen those in a while" she says sweetly, "I thought you might be a bit grossed out".

I roll my eyes and walk away back to the other side of the store. I grabbed what I could and put it in the car.

"Beth" I call out. "We'd better move on". There was no response, only a loud crash coming from one of the aisles.

"Beth?" I start to panic. I run up and down the aisles looking for her.

"Daryl it's okay, I hit my head that's all"'she calls out, I run towards her voice.

Eventually I find her, sat on the floor with her back to the wall, holding her head.

"Are you hurt, Beth!? What's hurt?" I say trying to check her out, but also trying to be careful with her fragile body.

"I'm fine I just want to go home"

We made our way to the car, it was full of supplies - and tampons - I thought it was a successful trip.

However, I was angry with myself for letting Beth get hurt.

How could I let it happen, I'm supposed to keep her safe.

In the car I could tell Beth was loosing consciousness, she was sweaty and she was struggling to keep her eyes open.

"It isn't your fault" she says noticing I was angry with myself.

"Yes it is, I couldn't keep my promise, I couldn't keep you safe" I grunt.

Beth reached her hand over to me leg and placed it on my upper thigh.

"I love you, daryl Dixon" she says barely conscious of what she was saying.

How can you love me? I think to myself. I'm damaged goods, I can't keep you safe, what kind of man am I who can't even keep the girl he loves safe?

"I love you too"

_____
Writers note:
Ahh I feel so sorry for daryl, let me know what you think about this chapter!🌚💞
DONT FORGET TO VOTE!