Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Anger

It was fall-as I've mentioned before- and leaves littered the ground, almost completely concealing the gray concrete underneath. It was sunny, 67 degrees, normal fall weather. The time was 7:15 AM and Jonathan and I were waiting for the bus with his friends, dreading the moment when the first clique would arrive. Well, at least Jonathan was, I was so excited to see him yell at his best friend.

"I don't think he would do that, Jonathan. He's too nice." Lui said, trying to calm Jonathan down. But to no avail, he could still see the anger in his friend's eyes. Lui realized he couldn't stop him from doing whatever he was about to do, and I don't think I wanted him to.

"It's an act, Lui. I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time he's lied to me." Jonathan looked towards the direction the first clique always came from, he couldn't see them. 7:17 AM. One minute late. Proven guilty. My plan had been going better than I thought.

It was 7:21 AM when the first clique arrived, laughing and smiling, but their joy was cut short when they saw the angry expressions of the second clique. I avoided eye contact and backed away a bit for dramatic effect, if I'm gonna sell it, I gotta get people to buy it, right?

"Um, are you guys ok?" Evan asked, cautiously stepping closer to Jonathan. I saw the genuine concern on his face as he looked at Jonathan, it was the look of a true best friend. And that had pissed me the hell off.

"Fuck you." Jonathan growled, backing away from his supposed 'best friend'. He could barely even look at him. A small piece of guilt worked its way down my throat, landing in my stomach with a thud. Shame burned my tongue like a shot of whiskey, fiery and bitter, but pride and victory over powered them, causing me to smile just a bit.

"What's your problem?" Evan glanced at his friends, who looked just as confused as him. He looked like a lost puppy who had just run into a pit bull, I almost felt bad.

I should've felt bad.

Jonathan glared at him, walking towards him in an angry way. "You're my problem, Fong."

Oh, those words were like music to my ears. It was everything I dreamed it would be.

Evan was taken aback. "W-what? How am I your problem? What did I do?" He thought over what had happened the past few days, he couldn't have done anything. Could he?

No, Ev, you didn't do anything, buts that's not what I wanted Jonathan to think.

"Don't play dumb with me, you know exactly what I'm talking about." Evan could feel the anger radiate off of Jonathan, it scared him.

Ha, I think I even saw a flinch!

"I really don't, could you explain?" I could never forget the confusion on his face, it was priceless.

"I don't need to explain anything to you, asshole. You know what you did."

"What the fuck did I do?!"

Just as Jonathan opened his mouth to yell at Evan once more, the bus arrived, pulling up next to the two cliques in the middle of their argument. As the doors opened, Jonathan walked forward to enter the bus, pushing Evan as he passed him. I followed immediately behind him, making it a point to avoid looking at Evan, but as soon as I sat down at a seat I stared out the window and listened to the first clique's conversation.

Evan had stumbled backward from the force of Jonathan's push, he would've fallen on the ground if Tyler hadn't caught him, helping him gain his balance.