Chapter 9

Chapter 9: Oblivion

Two Weeks Later

I slammed his skinny body against the back wall of the school, no doubt a crazy look in my eyes.

"Where is he?" I demanded, waiting a few seconds before pulling him close to me and slamming him against the wall once more. "Where the fuck is he, Scott?"

"I-I don't know, I haven't seen him since last week! Why are you even looking for him? Is he your boyfriend or some-" I slapped him across the face, hard.

"That shithead will never, in a million years, be my boyfriend. I just need to know where he is, so you tell me and don't ask questions, fucker." My face was millimeters away from his.

"I may know where he have gone, but why would I tell you?" His voice tried to sound confident, but failed since I could still hear the fear underneath.

I grabbed his shirt collar, pushing him harder against the wall. "Because, Scotty boy, I know people. I know people who could get you in a lot of trouble if they hear what you've been doing. Ditching class, getting detention, selling drugs, stealing, any of those ring a bell? I could end you in a heartbeat." My voice was low, almost like a growl, and from the way he started to shake, I think I got my message across.

"I saw him this morning, he was getting his usual order, and during our small talk he said he was only going to first period. I asked him what he was gonna do and all he said was something personal, that's all I know, I swear!" Fear now drenched his voice as he looked at me with wide eyes that said 'please, don't hurt me.'

I released him, causing his body to fall to the floor in relief. "Thank you!" He repeated over and over again, like he was saying it to an ex who wanted to get back together.

"I'm glad we came to an understanding, Scott." I said, turning and walking away, checking the corner to see if anyone saw me come back here. No one. Good.

I checked my watch, lunch would be over in about five minutes, which meant that I would have to find a way to sneak out in two, since usually the upper class men use the courtyard to get to the stairs on the side of the school.

Three minutes later, I was on the other side of the fence, my backpack on the floor where I had left it once I threw it over. All in all, it was the right day to wear combat boots.

I started with his house, looking in the windows to see if I could find any trace that Evan was there. I was careful to avoid neighbors who might be watching, I didn't worry about the guys as much since I knew they were still at school.

I was about to give up when I saw movement upstairs, more specifically, Evan's room. Breathing out a sigh of relief, I found a nice place to camp out until Evan left, which I knew he would do eventually.

Three hours later, he did leave, and followed him to the nearest store, where he went in, I stayed outside since I didn't want to potentially lose him. But when he came back out, holding a small plastic bag, I couldn't see what was inside of it, I just knew that it had to have been something small.

I couldn't notice anything different with him, he wore the same clothes he always did, walked the same way as usual, he just looked tired. He needs to sleep more.

I followed him back to his house, where it seemed like he was not going to be leaving for the rest of the night. I was fine with that, my TV show started at 8 anyways.

Defeated, I went home, knowing that I had about 30 minutes until my parents came home, and when they did I could make up the excuse I wasn't feeling well, so I left school. They'd buy it, because they love me.

-------------

It had been 10:35 when there was a knock at the door, Jonathan and I had just been watching TV on the couch when it sounded. My parents had to leave for work for a couple of hours, so that left Jonathan to answer it.

"I got it!" He yelled, hoping his voice was loud enough to reach the outside of the door. I moved seats as he got closer, having a sinking feeling in my stomach about who it was.

And my suspicions were correct, because it was Evan, standing there in the cold night air, looking as miserable as always. Except, somehow he was different. Different than yesterday, than last week, than when I saw him walk out of that piercing shop.

Because he didn't just look miserable, and sad, he looked defeated and depressed, and just so, done.

"I know you don't like me, believe me I know, you hate with every fiber of your body, but I just wanted to give you this." He said, his voice quiet, almost like a whisper as he held out an envelope to Jonathan.

From where I was, I could the messy scrawl of his handwriting that was on the back of it. It read:

Do not read until I am gone

I was still trying to understand what that meant as Jonathan took the envelope, reading the message on the outside, confused. He was about to close the door when something happened.

It was something so shocking that I had never seen coming.

Evan kissed Jonathan.

As soon as it was over, Evan pulled away with a sad smile, and took off down the sidewalk, his hands shoved in his pockets as he walked as fast as he could. Meanwhile, Jonathan sat there in shock about what just happened.

But, for me, everything clicked into place, because I finally knew the one thing I had never known. Evan was in love with Jonathan, and that's why he was so broken.

Then, it came to me, the reason Evan would hand Jonathan an envelope, kiss him, and leave.

Without even caring if Jonathan saw me, I ran upstairs, threw on a coat and the nearest pair shoes, then ran back down, and I didn't stop until I was running down the sidewalk in the middle of the night.

---------

It took me a little over ten minutes to reach the bridge, where I saw a figure standing already.

What should I do? Do I talk him out of it? Because this is it, this is where it counts. Who am I? Really? Am I a person who just lets someone do this? Or am I a person who tries to help?

"Five." I heard Evan say on the bridge as he climbed over the railing, I noticed a small, black notebook on the ground, it must have his note.

Don't let him do this, you're not that person, don't let him die because of what you did.

"Four." He leaned forward, catching himself since he was still gripping the railing.

Help him, he's in love with Jonathan, don't let him do this.

"Three." His eyes screwed shut as he took calming breaths, trying to think of the positive outcomes of what he was doing.

Meanwhile, I was still frozen with my thoughts.

Don't help him, this is what you wanted, Jonathan will look to you for comfort, no one has to know. Let him do this, let him fall.

"T-two." This time his voice was shaky, like he was having second thoughts about this whole thing, but he shook his head, and I could just barely hear him say to himself. "You can't go back, you already blew it."

Jonathan doesn't love him, you made sure of that, let him fall. You lied to Jonathan, he hates Evan, he loves you. Let him fall.

"One." I felt my body jerk forward, my hands out, but my scream was stuck in my throat as I watched one of the most tragic things I had ever witnessed.

I watched Jonathan's ex-best friend throw himself off a bridge, on a cold night into even colder water.