Chapter 5

Chapter Five: Adrenaline

It had been a year since I lied, and let me fill you in on a few minor details that had changed since then. First of all, I now attended the same school, so I can get a bit more of a grip on the situation. Second of all, I had become a bit of a stalker.

Now, I wasn't being a pervert or whatever you think I would be doing, no, I just wanted to know what was going on, you know? So I followed Evan every chance I could get, just aching to see and hear a bit more of his agony, because man was it good. It was an addiction.

Or, to speak in a lighter tone, the curiosity was killing me.

Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back.

Also, Evan's temper seemed to have grown shorter and he snapped a bit easier. Long story short, he could use a few anger management classes.

And I was so happy that I could be mistaken as a frequent drug taker.

"Dude, are we gonna talk about this? Or are we gonna ignore what just happened like we always do?" Tyler said as he and the rest of the guys chased after Evan, who had a head start and was already halfway across the school yard. I was hidden in the shadows of the staircase, thankful that the group was being loud. I tugged my black jacket around me a bit tighter and watched with interest.

Evan rolled his eyes, slowing his pace. "What is there to talk about? You know that this is a regular thing by now, it shouldn't surprise you." Evan growled, obviously still angry from what just happened.

My foot slipped, creating a scraping noise as it glided against the concrete, in a swift movement I pressed my body tightly against the wall as they all turned around. I felt like Tyler was once again staring straight at me, but I was grateful for how dark the shadow was.

Turning back around, Tyler got in front of his friend, putting a hand on his chest to stop him. "That wasn't normal and you know it, Ev. What's been going on with you, lately? Because it's getting a lot worse." I knew that tone, it was sympathetic, concerned, and even had a few shades of pity; I had heard Tyler use it before.

By now Evan could feel the rest of his friends behind him, trapping him in a circle. He knew they were concerned, but he didn't want to talk. I learned that about him, he never wanted to talk anymore, at least not to them.

"I'm fine." He replied, anger still clear in his voice. He was being pushy and demanding, his newfound bipolarness looked liked it was beginning to come through.

"No, you're not. And we are going to talk through this right now." Tyler was being quite pushy himself as well, looks like everyone had an attitude problem.

Evan shook his head, there was no way he was going to have this conversation with his friends fifty feet away from the school. "No, no we are not." He said, pushing his way past Tyler only to be held back by the rest of his friends. They even held onto his arms so he can't punch his way out. Looks like they've been picking up on his violent behavior as well.

"Yes, we are." Tyler said as Evan pulled on his arms to break free of his friend's hold. He didn't want to talk about it, not here and most certainly not now. It appeared that the show was just getting started.

"Ev, we'll let go just tell us what's wrong. You've been a lot angrier at him lately, just tell us what's going on." Craig said, trying to calm Evan down. I swear all I needed was a bag of popcorn.

"I am not in the mood for this, guys. Seriously, let me go." Evan said, completely disregarding what Craig had said. Gotta say, he totally suits the whole 'pushy and aggressive' type, it's a good look for him.

Finally, after a while of nothing happening, Evan gave up. He stopped struggling and sighed, tired and wanting to go home. "Guys, can you please let go of me? I just want to go home." His voice cracked at end, which he didn't mean to do. Luckily, it seemed to work because he felt his friend's grip loosen, allowing him to finally walk away, mumbling a quiet 'goodbye' before he walked out of the school yard, leaving his worried friends behind him.

Huh, that was a trick I hadn't been expecting.

-------

Don't ask me how I know of this conversation, just know it is a crucial part of my confession.

"Do you guys think he's ok? He really hasn't been acting like himself lately."

"I don't know, did you hear him? He sounded so defeated, what do you think is up with him?"

"Who knows? But it has to have something to do with Jonathan, he started this entire thing."

"Yeah but why would it only start to effect him now? It's been a year."

"Maybe Jonathan did something, they did used to be best friends. They know everything about each other."

"We should check on him."

-------

Again, I don't think you want to know my sources for information.

Evan fell onto his bed, his body felt exhausted but his mind was running at a mile a minute, never stopping. He just wanted to sleep, but he was thinking too much about what had been going on recently. Tyler was right, he had gotten a lot worse over the past few months.

But Evan couldn't bring himself to admit the truth about what was going on, and he couldn't tell if it was his pride or subconscious that was stopping him.

All he knew was that he had to win this war. No matter what.

And you know what they say......

All is fair in love and war.

Total Lies Told: 3