second

Rosie grumbled beneath her breath as she scrawled the answers across her paper in sloppy cursive, one arm discreetly blocking the writing from her classmate's prying eyes.
She couldn't help but be reminded of when she'd give him the answers in subtle little ways, him gladly taking them.
"I'm failing three classes right now."
I tilted my head, crinkling my nose in a sympathetic manner. "Biology is one of them, I assume?"
He nodded, rolling his eyes. "It's such a stupid class. I hate it."
I hummed, trying to think of something. "Hey, tell you what, you start passing, and I'll get you a big box of candy. Umm, do you like M&Ms?"
Josh shrugged, his eyes slanting away as he thought. "I like Skittles."
I brightened up. "You got it! Now you just have to start passing."
Rosie swallowed, squeezing her eyes shut.
No, she wouldn't think about it. She wouldn't think about the little bag of Skittles she kept in her backpack for him, the one she'd had for a few days now.
It was supposed to be motivation, an incentive to work towards the big box of rainbow candies, but she couldn't figure out when to give it to him.
Josh always seemed to be with her now, and even if Rosie was beyond jealous, she didn't want to give her any ideas as to her feelings.
Josh didn't need her.
Besides, he had probably forgotten her promise already.
And yet, Rosie still kept those Skittles, hidden in her bag.