Chapter 3 - Picture of Amhuinn

After four years of being out in the open, the bath in which Amhuinn was given was like heaven on earth. She would've never admitted it to anyone, but she had missed the little luxuries in life she had been allowed when she still resided on Kincaid land, amongst her clan members. The hut she and Tamhas had built for themselves had been serviceable, and the food, when procured can be quite delightful. She had managed to figure out a way to roast gamey meat, turning them impossibly moist and succulent over a simple fire and wild herbs they gathered. But nothing could replicate the feeling of soaking your whole body in a tub full of hot water.

Fiona, the maid the first in command had asked to settle her had left with her clothes, saying she would get them washed and dried before returning them. In the meantime, Fiona had taken some of the clothes from someone she had called young miss Gillian. Amhuinn assumed she was either one of, or the only younger sister to the laird, but had not questioned much.

She wasn't even sure how long she stayed soaking in the hot tub, until the water had significantly cooled down. Steam had dissipated before Amhuinn clambered out of the bath. Her body which had been aching from the arduous mile she's had to trek to get to the MacKenzie Keep, but the warmth had done a good deal in soothing them. Grabbing the towel Fiona had left for her, Amhuinn marvelled to herself at just how soft the material was. After the years of living with rough linen and patched up clothes, she had almost forgotten just how soft some material could be. 

The warmth in the room from the fire they had stoked was a world of difference from the cold which she's had to endure each time she took a dunk in the river the both of them had set up their home next to. Pulling on the champagne red kirtle, the feel of cotton sliding on her skin was a marked difference in Amhuinn's mind. Beginning to realize just how much she had taken her life within the clan for granted, the girl looked in the mirror, lacing it up till her chest, and buckling the belt around her waist. Looking at her reflection, she was amazed at how a good bathe and looking refreshed could change how someone looked. Her streaked blonde hair hung limply around her shoulders, but just as she was beginning to wonder what should she do with it, the room's door opened, and in bustled in a very pregnant redhead, and another younger one, whose red hue in her locks was much dimmer compared to the pregnant lady.

"Fiona told me about you as she escorted me back to my room, and I simply had to come and take a look. You remember me, Miss Amhuinn?" the pregnant one asked.

Amhuinn squinted an eye at the rotund figure as she took a seat on the sparse bed next to the vanity table which she stood in front of, and then her blue eyes widened. "Sassenach!"

The younger one bristled immediately, but the English bred lady laughed, and patted the younger's hand soothingly. "Tis what she called me last time, Gilly. Do calm down, I don't think she means any harm."

"Still, tis nae something nice. Ye love the Highland's as much as any of us, Evie." the girl Evie had called Gilly answered.

Giving the younger one a smile, Evie returned her attention to Amhuinn. "I am pleased to see you here. I have wondered sometimes, how you and your brother are doing. Is everything alright?' she first asked, and then turned to the other young lady. "I'm Evie, if you remember. Evelyn Gilroy. This one here is Gillian MacKenzie, Hammond's younger sister and my cousin as well."

Amhuinn, out of habit, nodded a greeting at the younger one who looked more mollified now, and then turned to the pregnant one. "Tamhas has gotten himself in a bit of an issue. I came here to get the help of ye laird." she frowned, and then asked blatantly. "Yer a sassenach, how come ye to a Highland name?"

"She's Connor's wife, so ye would do well to address her appropriately." Gillian bristled, obviously protective of her friend and cousin. Evie laughed, nodding. Amhuinn was beginning to see the clear difference in character, with Gillian being more protective, while Evie was more easy-going and relaxed. "I am verra much Connor's wife, as you can see. He's staked his claim quite viciously." Evie proudly murmured, patting her rounded stomach.