Chapter 17

It was dawn by the time their horses slowed down right at the border of MacKenzie lands. Adair had long fallen asleep on her shoulder. Amhuinn's arms ached from securing her son to herself while at the same time trying not to fall off the horse and be a bother to Tristan, but she couldn't stop herself from worrying. She constantly looked over her shoulder, but try as she might, she simply could not spy the red-haired laird that now haunted her frustrations and worries. Was he alright? Did he manage to extricate himself from the Kincaid warriors? How was his wound? These questions lingered in her head in the hours they took to ride from the castle to MacKenzie Keep.

When Tristan finally reined their horse in to a stop, Amhuinn all but tumbled out of the saddle. Adair was jostled, but remained unaffected in his deep sleep. "Whoah, slowdown there Mistress, ye dinna want ter-"

"Where is yer laird?" Amhuinn cut Tristan off as Isaac and the rest of the MacKenzie men followed behind. In her anxiety, she didn't even wait for Isaac's answer as she turned to the only person she's had for the past 4 years. "Tamhas, did Laird MacKenzie return with ye?"

"Och, sister. I would think ye would have a wee bit more concern fer yer brother instead." Tamhas cajoled, a teasing wink as he relieved Amhuinn of the sleeping four-year old. A rock in her heart lifted. None of them would be so at ease if Hammond was seriously injured, would they?

"I'll survive, lassie." A hoarse, gruff voice made itself heard from the heart of the gathered men. As they parted, the figure of Hammond MacKenzie could be seen hunched over his steed, whose reins were held by another of the MacKenzie men. He looked pale, with the arrow's stick broken off but it's head still embedded within his shoulder. Amhuinn had definitely seen him looking better before, but at the very least, in her heart, she thanked the gods he was alive.

"Ye willna if ye insist on riding e'en when yer injured in that manner." she scolded, her concern coming out in a brash tone.

Hammond gave an hoarse chuckle, motioning at his men to help him down. He winced as they grabbed him around his arm. Amhuinn's heart went out to him, but she was determined to stand her ground. At the very least, not around the MacKenzie men. Once Hammond had his feet firmly on the ground, with one arm around Isaac, he lifted his warm eyes up at Amhuinn. "Is yer laddie alright?" he asked, with a flicker over at Tamhas who now stood next to her holding his sleeping nephew.

"He'll be fine. He's just worn out from all the action." she replied. "Bring yer laird ter th-"

"I'll be fine, lass." Hammond tried to insist. Amhuinn was hearing nothing on it however, and didn't let him continue with a stern look that bore no argument. Once she was sure he was not going to say anything else, she continued speaking.

"Bring Laird MacKenzie to the Great Hall. Mrs. Griselda," Amhuinn addressed as the main door opened and the servants all ran out, having just realized they had returned. "Would ye mind bringing up a bucket of hot water and my herbs?"

---

After the adrenaline of rushing and getting Adair back at midnight, the silence as the sun climbed the sky was palpable. For the Great Hall to be so silent was an odd feeling for Hammond, for he was used to the activity and bustle that went on all day in the castle. He had never been up at such an hour, for the men usually awoke at a later hour then the women, for they slept at a later hour after fortifying the Keep with defenses before retiring for the night. The maids ran in and out of the Hall, bringing the herbs, clothes and clean water that Amhuinn requested, but they otherwise stayed out of the way.

Amhuinn worked in silence. The moment they had entered, she had instructed the men to rip Hammond's tattered tunic off, and in her silence, proceeded to clean the dirt and grime off his body and chest, paying careful attention to the wound area. Once she was satisfied, she had given a soft warning to Hammond to brace himself, and the next thing he knew, he felt the searing burn as the arrow head was yanked out from his shoulder blade. In a way, Hammond found it quite amazing that a girl of her size could easily deal with injuries without flinching, but the pain which flared in his body drowned out his natural attraction to her as he cursed enough to bring a drunken man to shame.