Chapter 5 - Picture of Tamhas

A handful of men had gathered in the small space in front of the stables of the Keep, as the sun began setting afore the horizon. The night's cold fingers had begun to spread it's touch throughout the people, and it was the reason why the few whom Connor had chosen to go with them were wrapped up extra tightly in black shirt, tunics, and minimal armor to prevent excessive noise being made as they snuck into the Kincaid clan's lands. Connor and Hammond themselves were tightening the straps on the saddles of their horses, double checking the knives and claymores they had strapped to themselves, when the side door leading to the insides of the Keep burst open, and out waddled Evie, followed and held up by a worried looking Amhuinn, whose pace matched Evie with her usual, uneven gait. 

Connor didn't miss a beat, and headed straight for his wife. The two shared soft murmurs meant only for each other's ears soon enough, which left Amhuinn looking at the rest of the men, and then turning her gaze to Hammond, who had rested his gaze on her with amusement. "I know why Evie is here, but is it too much to hope ye had come to see me off?" he tried to ease.

Not used to the kind of teasing Hammond often dished out, Amhuinn's cheeks blushed, but she scowled at the reaction, much to the redheaded laird's surprise. "Dinna think too much of it, Laird. I simply... wish fer yer safe return. It does guarantee my brother's safe return too, technically."

While he could not say he did not expect a scathing reply coming from her, especially since they have hardly known each other for a few days, it would also be a lie should Hammond say he did not feel the slightest bit disappointed at her less than warm reaction to him. After the evening of dancing and him discovering a different side to Amhuinn, the day in the keep had been pretty uneventful. He had spent the whole morning ensconced with Connor coming up with plans, and then the rest of the afternoon going over drills and trainings with a few of the men they had picked to come with them. In between, they had grabbed lunch and Hammond had seen to a few clansmen who had particularly urgent problems which needed his counsel.

But even at mealtimes, she had not been around. Only after he had queried Mrs. Griselda, was he notified that Gillian had brought her out to seek out herbs to be able to help Evie and also to tend to a few smaller ailments that had popped up around the clan. The knowledge of her being a healer was new to him, although somehow he had not been surprised. 

Deciding to let it slide, he looked over at the married couple, and gave a wry grin at how Evie held on to Connor. Not that his first-in-command was doing anything to push the other away. "I sometimes think they would be happier just glued to each other's sides." he tried to joke. 

Amhuinn looked over at where they were, and Hammond was surprised to find a tender smile come out instead. "At least tis proof that Commander Gilroy is truly concerned for his wife."

"Are married couples not supposed ter be in love?" Hammond returned his own sentiment. He knew of the arranged marriages that took place in England. Heck, Evie almost got caught in one, had Fabian Rothesay not been just as much of a romantic as Evie was. While he believed in love though, he simply had thought that he's always had no time for it. Amhuinn cocked a wry grin. "Not always." 

Her mysterious reply left Hammond questioning, but she offered no further insight, and merely took  a step back. "Be careful, Laird MacKenzie. I dinna wish to have to go and save ye both instead."

---

The darkness as the sun set provided the exact cover Connor and Hammond were aiming for, as they got off their horses, leaving the steeds tethered to a nearby forest area, and then advanced towards the looming castle. The largest, most imposing structure towered above the rest of the smaller cottages and hut littered around the castle structure. In the darkness, it looked gray even in the dim moonlight, with two tall turrets on either side. From where they crouched in the ridge that faced the Kincaid lands, the MacKenzie warriors could spy a few moving shadows that patrolled the top of the towers. The main gate leading into the castle was barred shut.