Chapter 18

The wedding was hasty, for Evie had insisted she wanted to be part of the wedding before they left for Cavalon Castle in just two days. As a result, the whole clan pulled together to transfer the hilltop on the border of MacKenzie lands. Where Amhuinn often wandered to either enjoy the rare sun in the Highlands or just to gather the herbs she would need, now a large constructed arch stood on the top. The men had used twine to tie them together, while Gillian had hunted for flowers to decorate the arch with. Evie had wanted to help, but Connor had been adamant about her not spending too much time outside. As such, she ended up working with Mrs O'Leary in the kitchen as they worked on the wedding luncheon to be served.

Father Simmons was quickly summoned, and he arrived the morning itself, having been two clans away. Hammond had sent his fastest stallion to fetch the travelling pastor. Amhuinn never met the pastor before she stood before him at the altar though, for the exact moment Father Simmons arrived, she was ensconced within her room within the Keep, being fussed over by Mrs. Griselda, Gillian and Innes, while Evie sat on the bed with her palm laid flat on her stomach. Both Gillian and Evie were dressed in their best dresses. Gillian had worn her kilt around her waist as a second skirt around her maroon skirts securing it with a leather belt, while Evie had wrapped the MacKenzie tartan around her shoulders.

As Innes wound her blonde hair into a plaited chignon, Gillian raised her brows as she noticed Amhuinn wringing her fingers in her lap. Her blue eyes clearly reflected her anxiety. "Yer anxious." the young redhead stated with a pointed look.

Amhuinn looked up with a sheepish smile. "I canna lie, I am."

"Och, the laird will treat ye well Mistress. Laird MacKenzie is as kind and as responsible as his faither afore him. The lands flourish under their care. Ye dinna have ter fash fer naught." Mrs. Griselda tried to calm. The elder house keeper gathered the sheets, and then motioned at Innes as the maid finished pushing in the final stalk of wildflower in Amhuinn's hair.

"I ken Mrs. Griselda, but tis just... Nerves, I guess." Amhuinn replied. The elder lady laughed, and winked at Amhuinn.

"Dinna worry lassie, ye will enjoy yerself. Especially yer wedding night. Gods tooth, plenty of the lasses in the Keep have been eyeing him. Ye will have yer hands full trying ter fend off the lassies."

Mrs. Griselda walked off with a laugh, obviously teasing. Gillian being as astute as ever however, noted the uneasy look that slipped into Amhuinn's gaze at the housekeeper's words, and immediately took the blonde's hands in hers, giving it a squeeze. "Mrs. Griselda's teasing, but she is true on one thing. Ye have nae ter worry aboot. Hammond has ne'er dallied with any of the maids afore."

"Tis true, Ammi." Evie spoke up from the bed. "Even when he fancied himself with Amelia back at home, he never touched a hair on her body, especially not after Amelia had fended him off."

"Wh-Why didn't yer Amelia fancy Hammond, though?" Amhuinn asked, realizing now that she was curious on all of Hammond's past. A part of her chest gripped at the idea that he had actually been enamored by another female before her, yet Amhuinn also recognized how ridiculous it would be if she demanded that he had a clean slate before her. She didn't have one, so how could she demand it from him?

"Amelia had been married before, but her husband had passed on years before she met Hammond. My cousin was very similar in looks and character to her deceased husband, but Amelia thought it unfair if she had led Hammond on further, for then he would just be a replacement for her husband. She didn't want to further any dalliance." Evie explained. "But she has a husband now who cares for her, and I think Amelia truly loves her too."

Amhuinn fell silent, as her thoughts ran a mile a minute in her head. Only when Gillian spoke, did she look up, breaking her train of thoughts. "The point is, Hammond is a good man. He will provide fer ye in any way ye would need, and more. Besides," she straightened up with a grin. "I would enjoy having ye as my sister. Someone can make sure my brither doesnae get in trouble fer me now, so I can spend more time in my workshop."