Chapter 6

By the time they got back to MacKenzie Keep, their horses were plodding along, worn out from the hard and long ride they had to keep on their way back. The men were bone weary from a busy night with no sleep, and all but tumbled off the backs of their horses as they arrived at the stables. Gallahan, the stable master, had been on hand waiting for them, and quickly took and brushed down the horses after rousing his stable boys to help him, as Hammond took up the limp body of the young boy he had retrieved from within the Kincaid castle. The boy had put up a struggle on the back of Hammond's horse as they made their way back, but due to his young age and the late hour, he eventually wore himself out and fell in a faint, which turned to sleep. Tamhas, on the other hand, was only half-conscious from the loss of blood, half-carried into the Keep by Connor and Tristan.

While he wasn't expecting anyone to be up waiting, Hammond was surprised at the warmth that greeted him as he stepped into the corridor leading into the main dining hall, and chairs immediately scraped back as two people stood up. When he looked up, the two lonely sconces that lit up the cavernous MacKenzie Keep dining hall illuminated the faces of Gillian and Amhuinn, whose faces looked shock when they saw the dirt streaked face of Hammond.

"Where is Evie?" Connor's rough voice asked, as they entered.

The question barely sunk into Amhuinn's consciousness, as she finally realized who was the limp man the commander carried. She had tried falling asleep after the men had left, but soon realize it was a futile attempt when she only could toss and turn, but her eyes remained wide open. She had came down to the kitchen to perhaps find a glass of milk to aid her sleep, but saw Gillian sitting next to the hearth in the dining hall, with a pair of glasses and a journal propped up in front of her. Conversation between the two soon revealed that Gillian also could not sleep, for she feared for her brother's life.

"I never sleep whenever Hammond goes out on particularly dangerous raids. He's... he's all I have left." It was a rare show of vulnerability from the sprightly, usually happy young MacKenzie.

So Amhuinn had settled next to her, and Evie had eventually joined them. In the roar of horror at discovering just how bad her brother looked, Amhuinn barely heard Gillian replying Connor that they had made Evie return to bed earlier. Instead, the blonde picked up her night gown and dashed towards where Tristan and Connor was holding up her barely conscious brother. Her blue eyes roamed the matted blood on his head, the strands of dirty blond locks looking rusty and crusted against his forehead. The back of her hand brushed his chin, wincing as he groaned at the touch. His body hunched forward, obviously lacking the energy to hold himself up.

"Oh Tamhas, why dinna ye listen ter me. I told ya not ter go running off to them." Amhuinn murmured in worry, taking in his ragged shirt, torn pants and shallow breath. "Can ye bring him ter an empty room? I promise I'll clean the sheets after, but I really need ter check him through." Amhuinn requested. Connor looked up at his laird, who nodded.

"I'll place him on the same floor as yers, Amhuinn. I'll also ask the maids to get basins of warm water ready fer ye." Connor replied, as he moved towards the stairwell with Tristan, waving at the rest of the MacKenzie men to return to their quarters or homes.

Only then, did the weight in Amhuinn's heart lighten up a little. As she began to take in the rest of the surroundings, she noticed how weary the rest of the men looked as they trudged out. Her gazed wandered over to the only man left standing, and then fell to the boy that Hammond held in his arms. When she noticed that, her heart jumped into her throat, and she gasped when she saw the sandy head that lolled in his arms.

Noticing how bad it looked, Hammond quickly sought to reassure her. "Tis nothing. He is just sleeping from over exhaustion. He's a lil fighter." he paused, unsure of how to continue. "Is he... Is he the 'something' ye wanted to get back?" Hammond was surprised at how anxious he was for her answer.