Chapter 4 - Picture of Gillian

Connor and Hammond had eventually decided that they would deal with the nuances on who would go to the Kincaid lands tomorrow, as the night had been reserved for festivities for the youngest of their clan. The proud parents of six-month old Finlay MacAlister held the sleeping star of their festivity in their arms, watching as the people broke out the bagpipes and fiddle. The younger page boys scattered and came back holding an assortment of musical instruments, and in the middle of it were dancing couples, married and courting alike. 

It was a scene that Hammond took much pride in. They liked celebrations, especially following the dark days after the death of Quinlan and Ailsa MacKenzie. His people had to go almost a year, before Hammond declared that enough was enough, and passed an edict to celebrate his sister's upcoming birthday in the loudest manner possible. Every celebration hence was as loud and as joyous as possible, for in between them, Hammond knew they had to deal with alot of loss, partings and hardships of surviving harsh Highland climate.

Greeting and striking up little conversations with his clansmen as he proceeded further into the hall, Hammond noticed that Connor was nowhere to be found, and assumed he had returned his cousin to their chambers. The two were understandably anxious about the upcoming birth, but with no healer in his land, there wasn't much Hammond could do. Any large injuries were treated in the neighboring village, but that in itself was a half day carriage ride away. As such, most of the MacKenzie's dealt with small ailments themselves, using whatever they could remember from the last time they had a healer upon the lands, which was before Quinlan MacKenzie took over.

He smiled as a sandy haired, blush cheek man about his age stepped up to the center of the hall which had been cleared away. The tables were pushed back to accommodate the dancing and singing but now Hamish, the bard of the clan took center stage, and the musicians eagerly accompanied him as he launched yet again, into a song they had all often heard,of how young Quinland MacKenzie had taken defended the MacKenzie Keep from Drummond attack repeatedly. 

Hearing the stories brought a sense of comfort to Hammond. He had always enjoyed hearing about the younger days of his father. This time however, he found his attention quickly distracted when a blonde head entered the crowd of red and brunette's that mostly comprised of his clansmen. Riveted to her for reasons he didn't know why, Hammond found himself giving a smile when he realized how mesmerized she looked. Pushing off the wall he leaned against, the laird approached them, his footfalls easily recognized when they turned to face him.

"Laird MacKenzie, I... do hope I am not intruding upon this celebration of yer clansmen." she apologized. In her red kirtle, Hammond couldn't help but think of how much more radiant the red made her blonde hair, and how it complimented her sun-kissed bronze skin. 

"There's isna need to apologize, Miss Amhuinn." Hammond started, before she interjected.

"Dinna call me Miss, Laird MacKenzie. Just Amhuinn, or Ammi would suffice. I dinna need such honor's, afterall." she reminded with a tight smile. Hammond raised a brow.

"But-" Hammond started.

"Just do as she says, brother. Dinna argue." Gillian spoke up by her side, and then turned to Amhuinn. "Would ye be alright yerself, Amhuinn? I... I have some work ter get back to."

Before Amhuinn could respond, Gillian had dashed off, leaving the blonde blinking in surprise at her departure. Hammond watched as his sister disappeared through the doors of the dining hall, and heaved a sigh. "Is she always like that?" Amhuinn's voice broke his thoughts. He turned to look at her, and gave a non-committal shrug.

"Tis Gilly. She is a sweet girl, and everyone loves her here. Tis just... she's not yer typical type of girl." he explained, or tried to. 

"So are yer typical type of girls supposed ter like pink, pick flowers and embroid all day?" Amhuinn bristled.