16

Andrew offered to walk me up to my door, but I insisted that he stay with the Uber and head home

Andrew offered to walk me up to my door, but I insisted that he stay with the Uber and head home. We'd wandered around Williamsburg stuffing ourselves with desserts from the bakery while we walked through the streets, laughing and talking about everything and nothing. Even as the hours stretched on, with the night turning chilly, I didn't notice that it was past eleven until my phone buzzed in my pocket.

"Oh, sorry," I said, checking the screen before hitting the button to send the call to voicemail. "It's just Val. Probably wondering why I'm not home yet."

"Do you need to get back soon?" He asked, threading his fingers through mine again.

The motion was so natural, even though it had been ages since I'd held anyone's hand like this. Normally it felt weird, like adjusting to a new glove that was a little bit different than you were used to, but not this time. This time, it felt comfortable and safe. His hand was warm, and I loved how his fingers engulfed mine.

"As much as I hate to say it," I hesitated. "Probably."

Andrew nodded, quickly calling an Uber to our location, and we were picked up in less than five minutes. His hand found mine again in the backseat of the car, and both of us stared out the window without saying anything, perfectly content in the silence, as we watched the city roll past us.

My phone vibrated in my pocket, and I pulled it out to see that Val was calling again. Normally she didn't call twice in a row unless it was an emergency, but I figured she was just trying to make sure I was still alive after my date. Reluctantly pulling my hand from Andrew's, I typed a quick text to her to let her know that I'd be home in twenty minutes.

When the car stopped in front of my building, Andrew slipped out of his seat and skirted the car to open the door for me. I smiled at him, thanking the Uber driver for making a stop to drop me off, and exited the car as gracefully as possible.

"Are you sure I can't walk you up?" He asked me again, tucking his hands in the pocket of his jeans.

I shook my head, "Val's home, and...well...I maybe didn't tell her that I was going out with you tonight."

"No?" Andrew lifted an eyebrow, a hint of disappointment shadowing his green eyes. "Was there a reason for that?'

"No, it's nothing like that," I explained hastily. "She knew I was going on a date, it's just..."

He sighed, and I could tell I'd hurt him as he said, "Not with me."

"Not with Lincoln," I clarified. "With Andrew. I just haven't told her that, well, you're the same person. After I met you in the park, I told her about Andrew because I didn't think I'd see you again. Now..."

"Do you want to see me again?"

His voice was hopeful, and I took a step forward. Placing my hands lightly on his chest, I stood on my toes to press a soft kiss on his cheek. I wanted to do more, to kiss him properly, but my heart was pounding from this proximity alone and I didn't want to rush anything. I wanted to savor each feeling, each sensation, and - for now - this was enough. It was sweet and innocent and completely new, and I loved it.