.bonus chapter (5).

I laughed, tears slipping from the corner of my eyes, as I glanced from the ring to Andrew's face

I laughed, tears slipping from the corner of my eyes, as I glanced from the ring to Andrew's face. The seconds passed like minutes, warmth flooding through me, and it seemed like everything slipped away until it was just me and the man I love kneeling on the concrete in front of me.

"Say yes!" A shout to my left knocked me out of my shock, and the crowd laughed as I felt a breath hitch in my chest.

"Yes," I nodded, watching as the smile on Andrew's face grew impossibly larger. "Yes, of course!"

Hands shaking, I extended my left hand to him. He plucked the ring from the velvet box, snapping it shut and dropping the empty container on the ground, and carefully slid the sapphire ring onto my finger. I laughed, unable to prevent tears from slipping out of the corners of my eyes, and covered my mouth with my other hand as my boyfriend - no, fiancé - slipped the ring into place before kissing my knuckles.

He stood, groaning dramatically, and I threw my arms around him without hesitation. I heard someone whoop - the crowd erupted into cheers - and Andrew wrapped his arms around my waist to spin me around. Our foreheads touched, both of us smiling so much that I felt like we might spontaneously combust, as he lowered me back to the ground.

"I love you," I whispered through my tears.

Andrew grinned, "I love you." 

When he kissed me, it felt like my heart stopped. It was like a bolt of lightning in the darkest night, shooting through my veins, and I could hardly remember to breathe. His hand cupped the back of my neck, his other arm threaded tightly around my waist, as he pulled me impossibly closer to him. It felt like the world was spinning out of control, but this point - in his arms - was my anchor, and I knew I was safe.

"I hope you know I'm live streaming this," Val's voice interrupted us, and I pulled back to laugh.

Andrew nuzzled his face into my hair, and I could feel his shoulders shaking as he laughed as well. Turning to my left, my best friend wiggled her fingers at me before pointing to her phone with a smirk. 

"You're welcome," she quipped. 

"And I suppose you were in on this?" I asked her, unwilling to release my grip on Andrew.

She nodded, "I'd like to think I'm the brains behind this entire operation." 

Andrew straightened, "Whoa, no. I've been planning this for so long, don't even try to take that away from me."

"Yeah, but you already took my roommate away from me," Val replied. "I think you can deal with it." 

I grinned, giving Andrew a quick peck on the cheek, "She's right, you know."

"I know," he sighed. "In the end, I still win. I have you." 

"And I hope you remember to treat her right." 

A familiar voice drew my attention to my other side, and I turned quickly to see my dad standing a few feet away from me. He smiled broadly, holding his arms open for me, and I glanced at Andrew only to see him nod at me.

"Papi?" I said, releasing my fiancé to rush into my father's embrace. "What are you doing here?"

He chuckled, "Mija preciosa, you think I would miss this? Not a chance in the world." 

"Is it safe?" I asked. "Should you be here? What about--"

"Don't worry, amorcito. Everything is well. Now is not the time, mija," he crooned. "We can talk about it later." 

I frowned, "Are you staying in the city? How long will you be here?"

Andrew stepped up next to me, wrapping his arm around my waist, and pressed a kiss to my temple. I glanced at him for a second before turning back to my father, who smiled mischievously. 

"Well, mija, " his smile broadened. "We plan on visiting for a while." 

"We?" I asked. 

He turned to the crowd, which had grown exponentially over the last few minutes and was only now starting to disperse, and waved his hand. My sister, Adriana, stepped forward, her hand resting around my little brother Gabriel's shoulder, and my hand flew to my mouth to stifle a gasp. Gabriel rushed toward me, his arms wrapping firmly around my waist, and hugged him tightly while Adriana approached us. 

After a moment of hesitation, her arms wrapped around us as well, and I held onto my siblings for dear life. I hadn't seen them since leaving Texas, and I couldn't stop the tears as they poured down my cheeks. Guilt, relief, and pure joy flooded through me at the knowledge that my siblings were here, that they were safe, and that I could finally see them once more.

"I love you," I murmured into Gabriel's hair. "I'm sorry I left. I'm so sorry." 

Adriana squeezed me tightly, "It's okay, Cait. We love you too." 

I looked over my shoulder, beckoning Andrew, before untangling myself from my siblings. Turning to him, I twisted my hands together - my fingertips brushing the unfamiliar sapphire ring now resting on my left hand - and smiled at the man I love. Before I knew it, my arms were wrapped around his neck once more, and I pressed a kiss against his cheek.

"Did you do this?" I asked him softly. "Did you bring my family here?"

He nodded, leaning back to meet my gaze, before replying, "Of course. Now they're my family too." 

"I love you," I whispered, leaning my forehead against his chest. "So much." 

I could hear the smile in his voice as he replied, "I love you too, Cait."

Happy one year of FOLLOWED, folks

I started this book a year ago today, and I am so blessed and baffled that it has come this far. Over 400,000 reads on Wattpad, it's up for the chance at publication on Swoon Reads, and it's currently under consideration with several agents. 

Want to help FOLLOWED get published? Head over to Swoon Reads and give it a swoon-worthy 5 star rating!  Go to:

https://swoonreads.com/m/followed/

Thank you, to each and every one of you, for helping make this book what it is today.

I love you all! 

x