18

I expected to meet Roxanne and Anastasia at the tiny little bar across the street from our apartment building

I expected to meet Roxanne and Anastasia at the tiny little bar across the street from our apartment building. It was one of their regular spots, and Roxanne had a not-so-secret crush on one of the bartenders there, which we all teased her about mercilessly.

What I didn't expect was for Val to basically force me into a tiny black dress, pushing my makeup bag in my hands, and to tell me to 'do it right.' She wasn't satisfied until I came out of the bathroom forty-five minutes later with my hair worn down, curled softly at the ends, and a perfect cat eyeliner (which only took me three tries to perfect...on each eye.)

She herded me out of the apartment and down the stairs, narrowly avoiding death since I was also wearing a pair of her strappy sky-high wedges, where Roxanne and Anastasia were waiting for us in similar attire. The two girls squealed when they saw me, exchanging enthusiastic hugs, and pulled us into the waiting cab.

The bar across the street was definitely not on their agenda for the night.

Instead, we headed straight into Manhattan and out of my comfort zone. My three companions were chattering loudly about the bars we were going to visit - bars plural - and I found myself already counting down the minutes before I could go home. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy going out with my friends. Music was my obsession, after all, and dancing just made it better. I just hated going to some overpriced bar, all dressed up to impress, when we could have just as much fun - if not more - at the place across the street from our apartment. And, bonus points, they let me in even when I wear yoga pants.

What's not to love?

The cab came to a halt in front of The Standard High Line, a swanky new hotel that straddled one of my absolute favorite places in New York City. I visited the High Line at least once a week, and I absolutely loved wandering the entire length of the park. The High Line was a public park built on a historic freight rail line elevated above the streets on Manhattan's West Side. It was green, gorgeous, and an absolute oasis. I loved how unique it was to walk in a park that was above the city, and - even when it was packed with people - I could always find a spot to relax and enjoy my music in peace.

"The Standard?" I asked, lifting an eyebrow. "Why are we at a hotel?"

Val grinned, "We're not going to the hotel. We're going to the penthouse lounge at the top of the hotel."

"And they may or may not be doing a 'Sunset Jazz' concert series every night for the month of May," Anastasia added with a knowing smirk, watching as my jaw dropped open. "And the Richard Clements Trio may or may not be performing there tonight."

I stared at my three friends, completely stunned by what they just told me.

"Are you...are you serious?" I stuttered. "Really?"

They nodded in sync, and I grabbed Val and Roxanne by the arms whilst beckoning Anastasia to follow, "Well, come on! Let's get inside!"

I don't think I could've prepared myself for what awaited me at the top of The Standard. Everyone we passed was immaculately dressed, and I found myself thanking Val internally for making me step it up a notch. We exited the elevator in silence, all four of us staring at the gorgeous room surrounding us. Jazz music was already playing, the soft notes caressing my ears like a long-lost friend, but - for once - I barely noticed it because I was so distracted by the opulence of the bar itself.