Thirty-Two: Farewell

Tripp and I just stared at each other, then came to a slow, non verbal conclusion.

"It was going to happen sometime..." Tripp murmured.

I nodded. "I'll..." My voice cracked. "I'll miss you, okay? You'd damn well know that I'll miss you."

It came our aggressively. Tripp nodded, tears gathering in his large bright eyes.

"I want to give you something first..." He dove flew to my desk, and pulled out a bracelet.

It was made of gold and silver wire weaved together with expertise. There were several charms there. He handed it to me.

There was a cat charm with emerald green rhinestones for its eyes. There was a ladybug charm that had crystalline blue rhinestone eyes. There was a thrip bug with warm amber stones where it's eyes would be. And then there was one more. A lightning bug. It didn't have my colour of eyes, but Tripp's. Beautiful aquamarine stones were set in the sockets.

I almost burst into tears. I looked up at the floating creature before me.

Then it hit me like a tsunami.

This was the last time I'll ever see him.

"Can I... May I take a picture of you?" My voice caught in my throat. I pulled out my phone. Tripp nodded, and smiled.

Click.

"Ready?" He asked. He seemed oddly calm. Oddly sure if this.

"No." I chuckled. "But I guess there really isn't another way."

He nodded solemnly. "I'll miss you."

A tear trickled down my cheek.

"Do me a favour, yeah?" His voice cracked. "Tell Tikki, Plagg and Russ that I'll miss them. And that they're amazing. And that I love them very very much. And tell the new kwami you get that they're damn lucky to have you, and tell them that from me. Got it?"

"Aye, captain." I'd never heard him use that language before.

He grinned, and punched my shoulder. To the best of his ability, at least, being how tiny he was.

"Let's go save Paris." He said.

I walked over to my balcony, and looked sadly at him.

"Smile. I want you to smile." He said.

I did. I realized that it wasn't even forced. It was a genuine, warm smile.

"Tripp," I breathed in a shaky breath. "Wings out."

He was absorbed right into my necklace.

I could've sworn that I heard him say, "Farewell."