The promise

Both boys walked around the yard to Matthew's home.

  "What do we do now?" Ryan asked.
  "Well, I guess it's better that I pack my luggage and leave like my dad wanted, at least until things calm down."
  "Your mom will be furious..." Ryan pointed.

  Matthew turned around and looked at him in the eyes with intrigue.

  "But I'm happy to take you in my room."
  "More time with my boyfriend." He added.
"Look who's all comfortable saying boyfriend this, boyfriend that. You were so shy few days ago."

  Matthew finally let out a smile and pushed him. He then turned around and opened the door knob. He was afraid his dad would be home. Something out of the ordinary happened. His mom was home.

  "Mom! What... Aren't you supposed to be working?"
  "Yes, but I chose to take a day off... How are you honey?"

  Camille hugged Matthew and then looked in his face for any sign that would tell her what she needed to know.

  "I'm ok mom."
  "Don't lie to me. You are hurt. Hi Ryan!"

  Ryan nodded and waved smiling in silence.  Matthew cut in.

  "Well yes.... It's not every day your dad tells you to get out of his house."
  "Oh honey, but you know this is your home!"
  "Y-yes but I won't be able to look at my... dad the same way.  Can I stay with Ryan for a while?"
  "It's your decision. Just know as long as I live here, this is your house too. I can't say much about your dad, but I hope he will come back around."

  Matthew shrugged and lowered his head. His mom caressed his cheek, making him smile.

  "Mom... can I go grab my luggage now?"
  "Sure honey. I will come visit or you can call if you need anything. I'll pay your phone and... I want to get you a new card so I can deposit money there anytime."

  Matthew was about to protest but her hand came softly toward him making him quiet.

  "You need money until you figure out what to do next." She explained.

  Matthew turned back to Ryan, who smiled and nodded at him. Quietly he grabbed his hand and took Ryan upstairs. Once in his room, he looked around. That was the place where they first slept together. Now he was leaving it. He sighed and then let go of Ryan to close his almost fully packed luggage. It didn't take them very long to take downstairs the stuff he had brought back from New York.

  Before they left, Camille ordered him to come back so they could go to the bank. In minutes, Ryan and him set the luggage in his bedroom and then headed back to Matthew's home. He did not want to separate from Ryan.

  That day, Camille took them out for Lunch after they went to the bank. She felt happy it was Ryan who took a hold of her son's heart. She knew he was a very balanced kid despite the freedom he had gotten since very early. They ate like a happy family, and joked like crazy about many things. The least of their worries was to think about Adam.

In a moment that Ryan excused himself to use the restroom, Camille took the opportunity to talk to her son about her concerns.

  "Matthew, I want to say I respect your decision of being independent, but I really want you to remember you have a home."
  "Mom, you heard how my dad rejected me..."
  "I know, and I hope he changes his mind, but if your relationship with Ryan doesn't go where you want, you have my support to move back home or elsewhere."
  "Thanks for the vote of confidence." Matthew protested.
  "No, it's not that. I just want you to keep your options open, as much as I want it to work."