act one | part seven

act one | part seven - heartache

"I was curious," he said, "to if it was possible for a boy to steal such a cold heart." 

Enoch's cheeks were flushed, and all I could do was stare. I wanted to kiss him, to experience what I had read about on so many occasions. Seventy years without one - and Enoch was the most tempting offer I'd found in the many. 

The tension between the two of us was palpable, his face was so close to mine. My hand was still around his wrist, his skin seemed impossibly warm, almost hot in that second. I was hyper aware of his eyes, staring straight into mine, slightly lidded as he took short, small breaths. 

If I moved, even an inch closer, I could do it. I moved forward, his nose brushing against mine. I felt my heart racing in my chest, beating impossibly fast that I swore it would burst. My finger's slipped from his wrist to his palm, feeling his own slip around mine, intertwining them. I could care less that were standing in the hallway, where anyone could see us. 

His chest was pressed to mine, and his lips were so close. His nose brushed the side of my face and then I felt his lips press ever so softly against mine. It was so gentle but I was dizzy, feeling his hand in mine and feeling my body, molded against his. 

I was clinging to him like a lifeline, and inside me, something changed. The new feeling could be investigated later, but for now, I was wrapped in him.

How I could go so quickly from hating to him to kissing him was beyond me. I decided I was thinking too much, so I stopped. 

Enoch moved away, his face still close enough for me to kiss him again if I wanted. I could feel his hand let go of mine, dropping it as he took a step back. He was panting, staring just beyond  me with a worried look on his face. 

"What's wrong?" I asked him, feeling slightly hurt. 

"Olive," He breathed quietly. 

A small whimper came from behind me. I turned around, my heart breaking at the sight of Olive, standing behind us with tears gathering in her eyes. They slipped down her cheeks, splattering to the floor beneath us. 

"I'm so sorry," I said quietly, taking a step towards her. 

"Stop! Both of you!" She said, wiping her tears away with the back of her arm, "you two seem perfectly happy with each other. Horace's dream predicted it." 

Olive left us, standing in the hallway, spluttering out apologizes as she climbed the stairs. We were alone once more, but the atmosphere had changed. I felt awkward, standing there as he avoided my eyes. I felt a bubble inside burst as I came down from the adrenaline and adjusted myself to the reality of the situation.

I wanted to cry, but took a deep, shaking breath. 

"Please," Enoch pleaded, "don't you start crying too." 

I walked away, unable to be in the room a second longer. I ran up to Emma and I's room, flopping down on the bed and burring my face into the pillow. I was tired, and regretting that I ever went down stairs to talk to Rosalie. 

My stomach growled - I'd missed dinner, like the idiot I was. 

"What's wrong, Louisa?" Emma's heavy footsteps came towards me, and I felt the bed dip down with her weight.

"I kissed Enoch and Olive saw," I muttered pathetically. 

Emma's eyes widened and her mouth fell open. 

"You kissed him?!" Emma exclaimed. 

"It was in the heat of the moment," I explained, wiping away tears. 
"Then why are you crying? Aren't you happy? Did you like him?" She asked.