act two | part three

act two | part three - the truth among lies

"What does that have to do with Constantine?" 

I understood wholeheartedly what it meant, but my brain refused to accept it. If Constantine was speaking calmly with a man who raided loops, it meant that the two were in some form of friendship. It unsettled me, rattling every ounce of trust I once had in him. Olive told Enoch because Constantine was speaking to the same man that raided his loop.

The same man that was responsible for killing the people he once cared about, destroying the things he'd worked for. Enoch's face was twisted in slight anger as he waited for me to tell him I was joking,  but I was still in shock. I sat down on his beds, my elbows against my knees as my face fell to my open palms.

"Louisa," Enoch said softly.

He knelt in front of me, gently taking my face into his hands. His eyes were wide with worry. After a moment of silence, merely staring at each other, he closed his eyes and slumped down. 

"I don't know what to do, Louisa. Should we tell Miss Peregrine?" 

We'd been keeping a hoard of secrets from her, and this time, I knew we had too. I nodded and Enoch's shoulders visibly lowered, and he gave me a look I had seen before. Hints of resentment lingered. I began to silently pray it was for Constantine.

"The only question is when and how. We have to make sure Constantine's not going to listen in."

I said the second half a little quieter, feeling paranoia begin to fill me. It perplexed me, how Constantine could turn to the people - no, monsters - that were responsible for killing our people. It scared me even more how much he wanted me to go with him - but only because he knew that our time in the loop was coming to a close.

What was in it for him? What had Caul offered him that was valuable enough for him to turn against us? If Constantine was right about them planning something, he had to know - and it had to be big. 

"We aren't safe here," I murmured quietly, "if he's right, which he probably is, they're planning something big." 

"What if they haven't stopped searching for immortality?" Enoch chimed in. 

"It means they might try the experiment with ymbryne's again," I worried. 

Enoch laid back against the bed with me, his back pressed to the mattress as his hands covered his eyes. All of it was too much for us to handle - usually, this was Miss Peregrine in our position, but we'd gotten roped into the very business she forbid us from. All the things that we had done despite her warnings had backfired on us. 

Going out to search for Victor was a mistake, bringing Constantine back here was a mistake, we should have listened to her.

A sharp knock at the door surprised both of us. Enoch sat up with a slight groan to open it. I willed myself to sit up, too act normal for whoever was on the other side. Enoch opened the door, and to my fear, Constantine stood on the other end. 

"What the hell do you want?" Enoch growled lightly, clutching the door tighter in his fists. 

His knuckles were already turning white, to my surprise. 

"I need to speak to Louisa, alone," Constantine shot back. 

Enoch shot a curious glance towards me, and I moved forward. The last thing I wanted was to be alone with Constantine after hearing the news, but it would look bad if I refused. He'd demand to know if something was up, and I was always terrible liar. Maybe Enoch shouldn't have told me after all.