act one | part ten

act one | part ten - time is against us 

There is a stigma surrounding immortality - one that I have experienced first hand. I've survived a loop attack and natural selection, but it seems more and more everyday that my life may be on a thin wire, ready to take the leap of faith off.  Time has tricked us into believing that it was on our side, but it never was.

Natural selection is what has come after us peculiar's. By nature we are 'freaks' cast our by our families for inhuman abilities, taken in by ymbryne's who help us thrive in a world that otherwise distrusts us. 

Our families have kept our existences a secret, so when they eventually die, they take that secret to the grave and over the years - peculiarity has become an old wives tale. No one believes in flying girls, invisible boys, and dead-risers anymore. All of it has become fairy tales. 

Children in the twenty first century know us as simple fiction, fairy-tales they were read as children, all of them going about their lives, living and dying, without ever knowing that we exist. They say that in every fable there is truth - and more so in ours. 

Yet, while humans forgot, our own have not. Peculiar's turned evil and corrupted still hunt us, taking us and killing us in the night. They invaded my loop and Enoch's. They've taken Miss Avery, and no doubt other ymbryne's. We aren't safe anymore - but the fact is still too bitter for any of us to swallow and accept.

We were gathered around in the dining room just passed 3 AM that night. Claire and the twins were the ones not with us, still blissfully asleep in their beds upstairs. 

"Alright," Emma began softly, "no funny business out there, we stay together, we stay on time. It's going to be dark out there, Olive, you will lead us with light. We have to be quiet - we can't risk waking the towns people and have them show up angrily at the door. Miss Peregrine will know, and we'll all be in trouble. Understood?" 

"Let me ask you something, Emma," Enoch crossed his arms and sat forward in his seat, "what are we going to do when we get out there?" 

"Find Victor," She ordered, oblivious.

"He's lived on this island, in this loop, for thirty years. He would know his way back if he was still in the loop." 

Emma swallowed and let out a deep breath. 

"So you're suggesting we leave the loop?" 

"Victor doesn't have much time," Enoch pleaded, "I know it's dangerous, but it's the only choice. Miss Peregrine flew around the whole island today and found nothing. He's left, and on his own will. Either something happened to him out there, or he's just really good at hiding. I don't know." 

It was a shame Horace's dreams came at random, or else I think we'd all be suggesting he join Claire and the twins up stairs. He sat at the end of the table, looking forlorn and sullen, tired as he slumped forward. The entire ordeal had exhausted all of us with worry, we were too nervous to think about sleeping tonight.