Chapter Nine

I open the door to see a familiar face. "Jade! I've been trying to get ahold of you for ever. I climbed through your hallway window because your window was locked. Your mom came over to my house demanding to know where you were. How was your nig-" Mira whispers as she enters my room and turns on the lamp next to my bed. She stops talking when she sees my face, I close the door and plop on the bed next to her. "My night was just fantastic" I said into the pillow. I was only being half sarcastic. "What happened to you Jade!" Mira asked with her motherly voice. I stayed silent as Mira rubbed my back waiting for me to talk. "Jade what did he do to you?" Mira asks. I quickly sling up with confusion "Connor didn't do anything to me, Connor was the only good thing about my day actually" I say rolling over on my stomach to look up at her. "Okay it wasn't him Then what happened?" Mira asked laying down beside me. "My mom and Mark again." I say looking up at the glow in the dark stars I've had on my ceiling since I can remember. "What did they do? What was the reason this time?" Mira asks with her now upset tone. "They smashed my phone and hit me a bunch of times for going on a date and Mark," I said trailing off trying my best to hold back the tears. "What else did he do Jade!" Mira says through her teeth. ",he shoved his tongue down my throat again." I said quietly as if that would help it come out of my mouth easier. "He what!" Mira yells quickly sitting up. Mira was pissed, she hated when stuff like this happens to me, "Yeah.." I say slowly sitting up to join her. "I'm so sorry Jade, believe me as soon as we're eighteen we need to get you out of here okay?" She says pulling me in for a hug. "Sounds great" I mumble dreading for that day to be her already. The cool thing about this plan is Mira's birthday is exactly one week before mine so by the time I'm eighteen I won't have to wait for her, meaning I can run away on my birthday. Mira and I talked until three when we decided to go to bed. Mira insisted on staying with me, because every time something like this happened Id get horrible nightmares that night. So she figured she wanted to be there if I had any.
**
The next morning I wake up and Mira was gone but she left a note on her pillow that said "Sorry I had to go at six this morning I heard Mark walking around so I jumped out your window right before he came in here to see if you were still here. When you read this get dressed and come over to my house. Love you! -Mira" With that I got up and went to the bathroom. I groaned at the sight of my face in the mirror, how could makeup cover this, I thought to myself. I figured why not let Mira deal with it, after all she owns better makeup anyway. I return to my room to put on a plane white v-neck and gray torn skinny jeans. I put on Mira's vans as I'm almost out the door "where do you think your going?" My mother yells from the kitchen. "Why do you care?" I mumble under my breath, she then comes around the corner to face me and says "going out with your fuck buddy I would assume?" She says with a devilish smile. "No I'm not actually, and he isn't my fuck buddy for you information. Unlike you mother, I am not a whore who goes on dates for sex! I have a little more self respect then that." I snapped back causing her speechless. I turn around to open the door and leave but she closes it "go to your room, you're not going anywhere. You're staying here." She says quietly. "The hell I am" I say opening the door again. "I said go to your god damn room you fucking whore" she says pulling me back in and closing the door. I then stomp back to my room and lock the door. I wait to hear my mothers bedroom door to close before I hop out my window and ran the backwash to Mira's house.
**
"Took you long enough" Mira teased as she opened her back door for me to come in. "Sorry my mom held me captive. I'm not allowed to leave my house" I say plopping down at her dining room table. "Oh I'm sorry. Man your face is messed up." She says glancing at my bruises. "Yeah I know, I was hoping you could help me fix it." I say poking at my face. " yeah no problem. Do you want food first though?" Mira asks holding up a plate already prepared with pancakes eggs bacon and sausage. "Of course" I say with a small partly forced smile. Mira was my best friend for many reasons, one of those reasons is she cooks for me, all the time especially if I'm hurt or upset.
**
After eating Mira took me up stairs and was now doing my make up. Mira and I have been talking about Connor since we came up here. "How are you going to get ahold of Connor if Mark smashed your phone?" Mira asked as she was putting the finishing touches on my makeup. "I don't know haven't thought about it." I say observing my face in the mirror. "What if you just went over there?" Mira suggested "and say what 'sorry I can't text you because my step dad beat me and broke my phone' yeah no thank you. Besides my car is in the parking lot they would notice if it was gone" I say looking over at her. "Point taken" Mira says bummed. "How long are you grounded for anyway?" She asked changing the subject. "I don't know they didn't say. But I should probably get back before they notice I'm gone." I say standing up from her desk. "Thanks for the food, and make up" I say walking over to Mira giving her a hug. "You're welcome, run over her if you need anything." She yells as I make my way towards the back door. I notice Ms.Keels sitting at the table, I say my goodbyes and head on home.
**