06 | Applesauce Penguin

Chapter Six

"This is never gonna work..." I hissed, as I remained laying in the middle of the asphalt road.

"You always say that, and you're always wrong." Damon smirked from his position beside his car. "What's that quote from those old fairy movies you used to love? Always believe? Have faith? Trust?"

"Shut up. I can feel him getting closer." I bickered, as my hands remained sprawled across the ground, sensing the vibration from an oncoming car.

The headlights approached from the distance before a car slowly pulled to a stop. A car door opened and closed as footsteps grew louder. "Hey, you alright?"

The figure knelt down to my side, "Cassidy?"

A smile formed on my face as my head rolled to face him. "Lockwolf."

Tyler got up from his spot beside me, as I sat upright. I cleared my throat and he rolled his eyes, extending his hand.

"What a gentleman." I grinned.

"Heard you haven't been yourself lately." Tyler acknowledged.

"Wonder which big-mouth you heard that from.." I pursed my lips. "Look, Tyler, I am who I've always been deep down. I just have to keep proving it."

Tyler scoffed, "Your fight's not with me, Cassidy. I'm not gonna do this with you."

He then spun on his heel, turning to walk back to his car. That was, before a click sounded from his jacket-pocket, and he attempted to turn around and shoot me.

"Nice hardware." Damon's voice spoke up as he sped in front of me, tightly grasping Tyler's wrist, causing him to grunt in pain.

I held a disgusted look as I strolled over to them, snatching the gun from Tyler's hand. His face fell in defeat. "'Armory standard issue'?" I read off of the gun's label.

"You kill me, and you two say good-bye to everything. No one forgives you for this." Tyler breathes in fear.

"Oh, I think we're way past that." I cocked the gun,

Damon twisted Tyler's wrist even more, "You have another option. Walk away." Tyler began, looking back and forth between Damon and I. "Fight whatever it is she wants you to do and get your lives back. Walk away."

"Think about what you want at the end of it all. Think about who you want-" Tyler continued.

"That's the problem, I don't want any of it anymore." Damon glared.

"That's a lie." Tyler shook his head.

"Is it?" Damon questioned, "I wouldn't even know."

Damon released his grip on Tyler, pushing him backwards, as I tossed the gun to his feet. "Okay then, do it. If this is it- if this is the way I go out, then let me go out as the face that neither one of you can ever erase from your brain. Especially you, Cassidy. I'll be the face that reminds you to the end of time of the moment you gave up. The moment you threw away everything you've ever wanted, to be a siren's little bitch."

"Or maybe this'll be the thing that wakes you up." Tyler babbled, causing Damon and I to narrow our eyes. "And then maybe all of our lives will be worth something at the end of it all. So go ahead. Do it. Tear me apart."

"Whether I do this or not, I know where I'm headed." I took a step closer to Tyler. "You've dug your grave. Go lie in it."

I then stared into his eyes for an extra second before turning around, and heading over to the car. Damon followed until we both stopped in our places, and shared a look.