11 | Stringing Along

Chapter Eleven

"'Dear Elena...'" I wrote with an old pen, allowing my fingers to trail across the pages of my old journal. "As you probably know by now after reading Caroline's diary entrees, Enzo and I have been enjoying some time in Paris.."

Enzo let out a weary groan from behind, causing a small smile to grow on my face as I spun around in the desk-chair, looking over at him on the bed.

"What are you doing up so early?" Enzo questioned, patting the empty space beside him. "Come back over here, and show some affection."

I grinned. "Seriously?"

Enzo nodded in confirmation, as I let out a small laugh, slamming the journal shut, hopping back onto the bed.

I laid beside Enzo, staring into his eyes while his fingers rubbed circles behind my ear, causing me to lightly smile. "You know we have to return to reality, right?" I sighed.

"Says who?" Enzo's eyebrows furrowed. "We could run away together, you and I."

"Yeah, okay.." I laughed.

"What? I'm serious." Enzo defended. "We could survive on the land."

"By 'land' you do mean compulsion, correct?" I narrowed my eyes.

"Yes." Enzo chuckled, earning another smile from me.

My face fell as I thought about our friends. "The 'Miss Mystic Falls' pageant is coming up..we'll obviously have to attend. I'm afraid Caroline would paralyze us if we didn't."

Enzo let out a laugh. "Right, and you used to compete in these pageants?" he badgered.

"No..no, no- no." I began shaking my head, sitting upright in the bed. "Elena did, yeah, I guess she felt obligated because of our mom? But me? No. It took a lot more than some cheesy legacy tradition to get me in a dress."

"And what exactly did it take to get you out of one?" Enzo pondered, causing my eyes to widen.

"Enzo!" I hit his arm, as my mouth fell open.

"What? It's a joke, I'm joking.." he laughed, sitting upright beside me, pulling me onto his lap.

I cheekily smiled before he leaned over, pulling a long thin box out of the side-table drawer. "I meant to give this to you on our first day here, but now is as good a time as any.."

My eyebrows furrowed as I sat on my knees across from him. "Enzo I-"

"Open it." Enzo insisted, causing me to let out a breath.

I tilted my head, taking the box from his hands.

As I opened it, my mouth parted.

"Enzo..." I trailed off, speechless.

It was his ring, looped around the chain of a necklace. The ring he wore throughout his childhood, when he was roaming the streets as an orphan.

He once told me, that the ring represented a possibility of hope and love. That when he was younger, he dreamed of proposing with that ring, to the girl he decides to spend eternity with.

"I can't-" I stammered, staring down at the necklace before my eyes locked with Enzo's.

"It's nothing but a mere symbol of an eternity with you, love." Enzo announced, as my heart dropped to my stomach and my eyes glossed over. "I can't imagine life without you."

"I love you so much." I stated. "And I can't think of anyone else that I would rather spend an eternity with."

I leaned forward, kissing him, before he pulled away.