17 | 'Til Death Do Us Part

Chapter Seventeen

I quietly tiptoed through the halls of the early-morning Salvatore house, exiting my bedroom, going to wake up Caroline.

After informing Damon of Katherine's return, I figured I should at least let Caroline know that I'm here for her if she needs me.

"Hey.." I chirped, holding a new bottle of champagne in my right hand.

"Hi." Caroline breathed, sitting upright in the bed.

I made my way over to her, taking a seat on the edge of the bed. "I know we have a lot to talk about..but I don't wanna get into any of that right now. I don't want to talk about us, or Enzo, or Stefan- or anything. Except the trouble headed our way."

Caroline's eyebrows furrowed as she shot me a look.

"We're gonna need this." I sighed, propping the champagne up on the bed.

"All right professor, how do we get rid of the queen of hell." Damon announced, speaking into his phone.

Bonnie and I were spread across the couches in the living room, while Stefan leaned over Caroline.

"Are you sure Katherine's in our world?" Alaric questioned from the other end of the call.

"When Cade crossed planes after the eleventh ring of the bell, other souls could step through too. The same way Kai did. Katherine would've jumped at that chance." I confirmed, nodding.

"Then why haven't we seen her yet?" Caroline piped up, "I thought by now she'd be strutting around, making demands. Or trying to get us all killed."

"Maybe she's wasting her time." Stefan offered.

"Or putting her own plan together." Damon acknowledged, taking a sip of bourbon.

"Either way, you're gonna need a new weapon." Dorian chimed in.

Stefan's eyebrows furrowed. "Is that- Dorian?" he asked.

"Yeah." Alaric hesitated. "I've asked Dorian to take point on our research front."

"This doesn't mean you and I are 'cool'." Dorian affirmed, referring to him and Stefan. "I still have those files on you, so I'm here to hold you accountable. For the rest of your God-given life."

I widened my eyes, taking a sip from my glass.

"I hope that you do." Stefan's face fell, as his eyes landed on me, causing me to adjust my position on the couch.

"So, what have you guys come up with?" Caroline challenged, averting the subject.

"Cade was killed by a dagger that was made with his bones. It was fused into glass by a white, hot, flame. First things first, though, I don't suppose you know where Katherine's bones are." Dorian broke in.

I rose a hand, placing my glass on the coffee table.

"Bingo was his name-o." I intoned, receiving confused looks before I continued. "We have every last one of Katherine's bones, in the cave underneath the old church, leftover from a traveller barbecue she had when she tried to possess Elena."

"Huh. Who'd ever thought she'd done us a favor." Damon shrugged.

Bonnie's eyes grew narrow. "But- fusing the bones into glass? How do we make that kind of weapon?" she bugged.

"Would putting the bone in a metal dagger do the trick?" Matt chimed in, sighing. "My parents are in town, I could ask my dad for help."