VIII

On the ground the Narnians trudged towards the How, those who had stayed behind waited outside to see who had survived

On the ground the Narnians trudged towards the How, those who had stayed behind waited outside to see who had survived. The youngest Pevensie anxiously rocked back and forth on her heels, she needed to know everyone was alright.
Peter stomped forward, nearly overcome by anger and guilt. Caspian and Susan walked a few paces behind, both in similar states of mind. Peter thought back to Katherine's words that she had said two days prior,
"If this goes awry Peter, remember that we tried to open your eyes but you were to damn stubborn to see."

Lucy frowned as she sadly looked up at her older brother,
"What happened?"

Peter flared with rage as he nodded towards Caspian,
"Ask him."

Susan sighed as she tried to reason with him, knowing this would on end in pain,
"Peter."

Edmund urged the griffin to fly faster as he already had Katherine scooped up in his arms. She was as pale as snow, which vastly contrasted her dark brunette hair. His eyes moved to her abdomen to see that her wound had dark purple veins stemming from it.

Caspian tensed as he glared right back at Peter,
"Me? You could have called it off, there was still time."

"No there wasn't, thanks to you. If you'd kept to the plan those soldiers might be alive right now." Peter accused him as he faced Caspian.

"If we had gone with the plan I'd suggested then they definitely would be!" Caspian spat back at him, he had no right to be putting this on him.

Her golden dress was now stained crimson, her eyes fighting to stay open. Her breathing was jagged as she lightly held onto Edmunds vest as he could see the How in the distance.

"You called for us, remember?"
"My first mistake."
"No, your first mistake was thinking that you could lead these people." Peter said rather smugly as he turned to go to the How.

"Hey! I am not the one who abandoned Narnia."
"You invaded Narnia. You have no more right than Miraz does! You, him, your father, Narnia would be better off without the lot of you."

Edmund locked his arms around her torso and legs as the griffin flew above the field of the How,
"Land by the entrance!"

The griffin obeyed his commands as he flew about twenty feet from the entrance and began descending.

Peter and Caspian both yelled as they drew their swords, but both stopped as they heard Edmund shout,
"Lucy! Lucy bring the cordial! Quickly, it's Katherine!"

The two men both tensed, their hearts stopping as they watched Edmund lift Katherine off the Griffin in his arms. Lucy wasted no time in racing towards them, already pulling the vial from around her neck. Then they both kicked into action.