6| TRUE COLOURS

Elektra almost dropped the cup of water as her eyes scanned over Bellamy's bloodied and tired face. He stared back, struggling to sit up on the makeshift bed. His hand was covering hers, and she could feel the warmth and the thumping of his pulse in his fingertips as he stared, motionless.

     "You're alive?" Bellamy asked.

     At the same time, just barely audible, Elektra spoke over him, "You're sick?"

     Elektra smiled lightly as Bellamy ducked his head, chuckling lightly with a nod. "Yeah. Clarke told me you might not make it because of the amount of blood you lost," his hoarse voice cracked slightly as she brushed some of his matted hair from his sweaty forehead, pushing it back from hanging in front of his eyes. "I didn't think you were going to make it," he admitted while sniffing. Elektra quickly wiped the blood away from his nose, not really listening to him. "You're babying me, Elektra," he chuckled, lowering her hand.

     "Yeah, I am. But are you really complaining?" She noticed him smirk before he shook his head. "No? Good. Now drink this." She pointed to the cup she finally handed over to him.

     "What about you? Are you feeling better?" His voice was laced with worry, she nodded slowly, the corners of her lips tugging into a small smile.

     "I've been through a lot worse."

     Bellamy forced a smile. "I'm glad you're okay."

     He looked down at the cup and hesitantly lifted it up to his lips before she placed a hand on his cheek, turning his head to look at her. "Hey," her voice came out quiet, and he looked up from the cup, "I'm okay. I'm not going anywhere. You can't get rid of me that easily. That's what being a Grounder warrior is about, we get back up and fight." Her voice drifted to a light laugh and Bellamy look down to her lips before quickly looking back to her eyes.

     "No," Bellamy spoke with the shake of his head. Elektra let go of his cheek and look at him cautiously. "You're our warrior, there's a difference."

     Elektra shook her head at him. "No, Bellamy, there isn't a—"

     "Is too," he cut her off with a come-back only a child would give.

     Elektra watched as his gaze drifted down and he brought the cup back up to his lips to drink from. She glared at him before her gaze softened and she mumbled to herself, looking down at the bandage wrapped around her thigh, "Baby."

     Bellamy looked over and lowered the cup. "Come again? This time louder."

     She looked at him with an eyebrow raised as he lowered the cup to his lap.

     "No, I meant—"

     Bellamy became flustered at his own words, stumbling on them as she bit the insides of her cheeks to stop herself from laughing.

     Elektra smiled and sighed. "I know what you meant, Bellamy. I called you a baby."

     "Baby?" His voice was raspy and sounded eerily similar to the one she heard in her nightmare. "You called me baby?"

     Technically I said, 'a baby'.

     But yes, that's what I called you.

     She didn't respond straight away.

     Instead, she looked from the floor and back to his face, just in time to see him yawn.

     "Go to bed," she demanded, taking the cup from his hand, pushing him back gently to lay down on the makeshift bed.