Gleefully Surprising- II

When Barry had been younger, when his family had still been whole, he used to wonder about the reasons for bullying. After his family was broken apart, he didn't have any time to wonder. He just reacted to the bullying, the taunts designed to get a rise out of him, the sneers and the rude whispering. He had Iris on his side, of course, but sometimes, Iris just wasn't enough.

After all, what was one person's reassurances against an entire school's vitriol?

When Barry had transferred to Dalton as Sebastian Smythe, it was easy for him to act as an over-privileged French student. It was easy as he was already fluent in the language since it was- had been, his mom's favorite language. He never outright lied about his past. Instead, he misdirected the questions and turned their attention elsewhere. Somehow, he got it into his head that the only way to protect himself from becoming a victim of bullying at Dalton was by projecting a persona that would be cold and aloof, a heartless bastard in the eyes of others (after all, how could he get hurt if he didn't have a heart?).

Barry, Sebastian at that time, would be the first one to admit that he didn't anticipate developing an entirely different personality as Sebastian. It was only after he had let his true self out of the metaphorical fortress he had built by being Sebastian, hiding his real, vulnerable self, the self with the heart that appeared to be missing in Sebastian Smythe, did he realise that he had become, in a way, what he truly hated.

A bully.

But of course there were people who kept up with him, trading insults for insults and on the whole, keeping him under control, even if they didn't realise what they were doing.

Barry wondered if the Dalton and McKinley High alumni had changed much after all these years. He knew that he had. After all, if being struck by lightning, being in a coma for months together, becoming a superhero, falling in love with a vigilante, facing betrayal from someone he considered a mentor didn't change a person, didn't turn their world upside down, he didn't know what would.

After meeting with the Glee Club members from both schools, he knew the answer. They had changed. Every single one of them. Oh, they were still themselves. Their pettiness, love for conflicts, arrogance and a general sense of superiority were still present. Only, it was all tampered with the sort of patience and self-control that could only come with maturity.

Barry was thankful that Jeff and Nick still retained their playfulness.  They wouldn't be them, if they hadn't.

Blaine hadn't been able to make it. He had promised to try to come to the event but he wouldn't be able to perform.

Kurt and Barry reached a mutual understanding based upon respect. But that happened only after they talked, without throwing barbs and belittling each other. Barry could safely say that both of them had walked away from the talk with a deeper sense of understanding for the other. He wouldn't go as far as saying they were friends, no, not yet. But there was potential for a friendship, and a strong one at that. Only time would tell.

Barry was surprised when he had learnt that Blaine and Kurt were on a break at that time. He didn't know if he had any right to enquire about it, but he had nonetheless.

***

"What about Blaine?" Barry asked, hands tucked in his pockets.

Kurt gave him an inscrutable look.

Barry shook his head and shrugged.

"You needn't answer. I know I have no rights to ask you anything about Blaine after everything I did. I was just curious. The last time I saw you both, you were so in love that you forgot about the world."