Interruptions And Invitations

Listening to the voice of his foster son as he sang and hummed intermittently while looking through the refrigerator, Joe West realised just how much of a burden Barry's past had put on him subconsciously. His smiles had become more genuine, and he stood a little taller, knowing that his behaviour, after being revealed, had not altered his family and friends' opinions of him, knowing that it was not held against him.

Joe doubted he will ever not worry about his son (because that's what Barry was, his son in all but blood), no matter how old and experienced Barry became. He still found it difficult to reconcile with the fact that his two children, Iris and Barry, had grown into brilliant adults, and were feeling their way into the world on their own. That did not mean that he would not be there for them always, whenever they needed him. It was a mixture of fierce pride and wistful longing (for the days when the worst enemies were the nightmares, and the wounds could always be healed by soft-spoken words and a bandaid) that filled him whenever he thought about it.

Hearing Barry coming in to the living room to join him, Joe shook his head and swept off the odd cloud of melancholy.

God, he was growing old...

"Barry," Joe began, catching his attention. "There's an officer from SCPD who'll be working with us for a few days, regarding a case."

Barry leant forward, interested.

"He came by the station yesterday for a short while," Joe continued. "You were in your lab so, you didn't see him. I'm pretty sure that he'll be calling on you for help."

"Okay!" Barry said, smiling. "I think I can handle this officer. Oh, and what's his name?"

Joe winced at the amateur oversight.

"His name's Colin Marks," Joe said. He hesitated, thinking back on his meeting with the SCPD officer.

"Be careful around him," Joe warned, his tone conveying the seriousness of the situation.

Barry looked taken aback, at first, then frowned in concern. He waited for Joe to elaborate. But when no more was forthcoming, Barry nodded solemnly.

"I will, Joe," Barry promised.

***

It was lunch break.

Barry was waiting on the results for some of his tests. He loved working in forensics. Oh, don't get him wrong, he loved being the Flash. Who wouldn't? But being in forensics was something he had achieved on his own merit and because it was his passion. He loved science and he was utterly proud to be who he was.

Spinning around on his chair, he glanced at the time. Deliberating for a short moment, he shrugged before calling Oliver.

"Barry?"

A goofy grin crept up onto Barry's face.

"Hey, Oliver! How many Board members were you planning on 'arrow'ing?" Barry chuckled on hearing the tone of growing impatience in his partner's voice.

"Am I that transparent?" Oliver asked ruefully.

Barry grinned before launching into a description of his work and his practice with his old friends. He knew that would help Oliver to unwind atleast a little, seeing how Oliver always looked less tense, less burdened, with a secret smile just peeking out at the corner of his mouth, everytime Barry word-vomitted.

He was so caught up in talking to Oliver that he didn't immediately hear the sound of a throat being cleared impatiently. But when he did, he swung around in his chair, casting a quick glance at the clock.