Lessons || Teaser

Author's Note: Should I continue? This idea popped into my head last night. Thanks for reading.

==

DARRYL

"Shit!" I'm cornered into a dead end and barely escape the risk of tripping over my hasty footsteps. Stones and rocks almost skirted my way into a face-plant, but I somehow never met the ground with my lips.

The aroma of delicious Italian sadly burned like acid for the pit of my stomach. A stomp of grey boots returned, but I never dared turning around. With no other choice, I spread both hands out onto the dirty brick wall in front of me and pushed the rest my body weight onto that matching tough surface.

The grey boots now pounded harder and harder toward me. But heartbeat in my ears now thumped even louder than anything else around my trembling nerves. Like "A Tell-Tale Heart" of Poe. Shallow breaths hardly escaped my lips, but cold air appeared from every exhale. My hands turned numb, even with the protection of gloves on both of my seized limbs.

In this moment, I prayed. To Jehovah. To God. To any higher being I'd learned of after reading volumes and volumes of books over the years. My eyes shut and these prayers somehow turned into gibberish of fear or even impossibility. Teas of these final moments of Earth stained down my cheeks.

As soon as I stood up straight with both hands up against that dirty wall, a gun barrel familiarized with the back of my head. One deep but shallow breath sounded in the air as I cried even harder than the first time.

Leslie clicked that handgun in to position, but never pulled the trigger.

"Please, baby." I shuddered. "Why are you doing this?"

"If you don't die, I will. Now say goodbye."

"No. Please, baby girl. Please just talk to me. Who's chasing you?" I could only interrogate the wall as time shrunk on my own life.

Bang!