Lessons || Chapter 11

CALVIN SMITH

For months, I've twisted in a straitjacket behind glass. Daily showers via hoses in a tiled but low plugged area kept me hygienic. Security and others kept themselves protected with near scuba outfits. And every morning, I've wanted to giggle honestly.

After this so-called cleansing, the Kris Kringle bodyguards would hurl me over to the nearest excuse of a closet. I never gained the luxury of dressing in bells and whistles like Nelson. Every hanger on the closet railing draped with copies of the same get-up I wore behind this glass.

Only a framed Polaroid of one high school memory perched on top a beautifully wooden dresser beside my cot of a bed. This single but flickering lamp on the dresser barely added different lighting to the hot white fluorescence above my head. Under that table lamp, the high school memory sent a churn to my empty stomach.

A young Leslie and I stood beneath a flowered arch. Bass of The Brothers Johnson rumbled under my feet as I held her by the waist. This huge Afro puff top her pretty hair. I'd rented my big brother's old church suit for the occasion. Throughout this night, Leslie held my maturing face, amused by the growth of my sideburns.

"I miss you, beautiful." I shook my head at the picture as usual. The smallest grin crept onto my face every time.

Nightmarish glimpses of her father Vernon forced me back into reality. I'd never forget smoking a joint one day after school. It wasn't long before I jumped onto my bike, ready to see my baby. We'd planned to study for Mr. David's hard-hitting Algebra test.

Vernon's old Cadillac sailed behind me as I moved carefully along the sidewalk. His horn blared loudly and I'd lost balance, nearly scraping my knee the hard pavement. I held onto the handles of my bike, almost hopping. The weight of my good leg barely assisted my need to move along this hard sidewalk. The joint poked out my lips. My own drool eased the usually burning smoke.

"What's that?" Vernon asked in a loud voice.

Shit! my thoughts shouted. The joint.

"It's marijuana, sir." I answered honestly and respectfully.

"Don't think for one second you'll see my baby girl again. Get that trash out of your mouth, boy." Vernon yelled behind his steering wheel. Al Green crooned from the radio.

Weak, I barely moved to toss away the joint. "There you go, Mr. Edwards. Now could you please help me? I think my leg's bleeding, sir. I fell off my bike and barely avoided scraping knees. Coming back on my own would be difficult. Would you please drive me home? It's not far from your house at all. Please."

"No." Vernon answered coldly. "If you think you're grown enough to smoke that joint and date my baby girl, you should be smart enough to earn a driver's license."

Before I could blink, he drove off. "Fight The Power" by The Isley Brothers grooved loudly on the radio this time. I'd never felt so alone and crushed before.

While sitting in this trap, I writhed in the current straitjacket once more, angry at the world.

**

DARRYL

Leslie just walked off. I followed her back into school and barely fought the urge to call out her name. Other students exchanged glances, but I could've cared less right now. Only the sound of our footsteps marching back into the cafeteria meant anything to me.

"I'm sorry." I fibbed in one way or another. "Just talk to me." We'd finally made it back to the table, and Leslie instantly kissed Max without shame. When they pulled away from each other, her voice trembled with tears.

"What did you do?" Max questioned me with narrowed eyes. His stupid arm draped around Leslie's shoulder once more.

"You know damn well what I did, Max." I defended myself. "Snatching her away from me like that wasn't fair. I think you even faked those tears for her attention." I pressed my lips together, just begging that tears wouldn't shed from my eyes.

"Hell no!" Max clenched his teeth at the table. "You know for a fact I'm no punk, Darryl. Say one more thing about my relationship and I'll punch you in the Goddamn mouth!" Leslie turned her eyes to face the wooden surface of this table now. I couldn't blame her, but chose to defend myself again.

I grumbled right under my breath. "I should've knocked your ass out on Monday, my nigga."

Usual noise of students around thankfully saved us from being reprimanded by old-fashioned heads of the school. My paranoid brain had been trained to look out for annoying teachers, even in a college atmosphere. There was only silence around us before Max decided to cut off the peace here.

"What the fuck did you just say?" Max caught my indistinct words and began to rise from the table. Leslie held onto him, whispering not to engage with me. Max only listened to that sweet voice. Fredrick and Turk had been completely silent and dumbfounded at this moment.

As soon as Leslie turned in my direction, her eyes pierced all of us. "Stop fighting over me! Both of you!" Before Max or and I could say anything, Leslie gathered belongings and ran off. Max darted to chase his lady quicker than The Flash himself.