Lessons || Chapter 31

Author's Note: I've FINALLY casted Leslie Edwards and her name is Khadija Shari Nicholas. She's danced for Beyoncé and Rihanna among other brilliant credits. Isn't she gorgeous?! Otherwise, feedback is appreciated. 

==

LESLIE

Because I showed up to the hospital every single day, Yvonne motivated herself. She soon pushed much harder during Physical Therapy and even gained enough will to eat appropriately again. By early March, Yvonne finally discharged. I ended up working in lavish retail just to make change for myself.

On the other hand, Vonnie moved right back to attorney central. Her colleagues drummed up happiness, but that first week back, my girl grimaced every so often while typing on a computer. Evidently, healing would take time, but she always kept a smile on her face.

Regardless of those exhausting work hours, we both found time to catch up with my mother. After all these years, she smiled again. At one point during our conversations, Ma joked about flying over to California and staying with us. That was the Mommy I knew.

As for Darryl and Max, they quietly migrated back to the compound after visiting therapy with me. When Yvonne didn't look, I shared a group hug with the boys. They'd begged for us to come back with them, but I refused in the name of Yvonne's wellbeing. Calvin already shot her once. To stand in Nelson's corner again would lead to death for anyone.

I could barely grieve about Morris and refused to do so. Not that I didn't care, but my mind had grown numb. We all knew Calvin had been a monster and this hadn't surprised me at all. If we kept distance, Yvonne and I would live another day. News reports suggested that police captured him again, but I never believed the headlines and Yvonne wouldn't either. He'd always escape in one way or another. Unfortunately;

__

Gun range. Yvonne brought up the topic at breakfast on her day off. I completely understood why she longed to defend herself as usual, but I'd grown weary due to her scars and joint pain at times. What if her gun jerked at the worst moment? What if her shoulder pulled back suddenly? I'd never take a chance.

Even if she never popped bullets again, more than enough defense for the unfortunate lived within the greatness of her mind. As for me, I now registered both weapons in my name and locked them down in the bathroom as usual. Not once did Yvonne try anything anymore. Needs of her law practice had effortlessly distracted Von from mentioning the gun range a second time. Relief washed over my entire body.

After another long night at the store, I slumped into Vonnie's place. She wouldn't come back from the firm until later, but I didn't mind. Even though she'd healed, doctors prescribed medication as a safeguard. Mostly taken during meals from what I'd learned.

But when I snapped on the light, a gun pointed right in my face. Only the click of my sore heels echoed off the floor as I moved slowly around the shooter with both palms high. I pursed my lips underneath mane of curls, narrowed both eyes at Calvin Andre Smith.

"What are you doing in this house?" I clenched my teeth. Once I lowered my hands, he lowered his weapon and gladly unloaded the pistol. Its clip of bullets lay askew on the wooden surface of Vonnie's breakfast table behind him. The pistol rested on its side without any harm equipped inside.

"I'm sorry." this monster had the nerve to apologize. I felt nothing but rage as his eyes faked sadness. A silence fell right between us. Only crickets sounded outside the window on this breezy night. Not once did I crack an evil smile at this long-awaited moment.

"Get out!" I barked through tears. "You murdered my father right in front of me without any remorse and went on this killing to make up for something I'll never understand. Leave before I snatch that gun and finally kill you! I should've done that years ago."

"Baby," he tossed up both hands, cowering backward footsteps. "Let me ex..."

Fed up, I snatched his pistol right from the table and loaded accordingly. The moment I clicked his gun into place, Calvin shuddered right before my eyes. I'd placed the barrel right onto the middle of his forehead. Not the back like my innocent father.

"Les...put the gun down. You father was crazy." Cal tried to blame his foolishness on my Daddy and I almost pulled the trigger.

"Don't even try it." I shouted. "And you better be glad Yvonne isn't here."

"Even if she was, there's no way she could pop me now, baby. Remember the graze I blessed her with?" Calvin eased the trembling, but his sinful ways returned.

I'd now set the gun right under his chin and gasped whimpering started this time. Once again, I narrowed both eyes as Calvin stood between life and death. Both of his ebony eyes shut through mercy, but I never gave in. If I didn't kill him in the next few moments, hell would only rise from at this point.

"I'm sorry." he shook again.

Just when I aimed to finally pull the trigger, Yvonne walked through. Her brown eyes directed from me to Calvin to the gun perched right under his neck. Skin I remember greeting with kisses and even hickeys the night before our real college graduation.

But Yvonne would only grit. "Do it."