Lessons || Chapter 13

LESLIE

Max finally returned to campus. I'd lost track of his time away and honestly didn't care. Once he stepped out of English class that day, I beelined down the hall. My large tote bag moved along with me as usual. Turk, Fredrick and Darryl followed me.

I cut my glare toward Max as soon as Darryl placed his arm around my shoulder. Even after visiting The Kid that day, I decided to stop seeing him altogether. The only person who honestly deserved me now guided me to lunch with his friends.

Max jogged behind us all the way down to the cafeteria. His voice rang through this hallway as he failed to gain my attention. With the courtyard door already open, Darryl escorted me outside. Brisk yet peaceful feelings of autumn continued.

"Could I sit here?" Max shrunk like a wimp, but I nodded in total silence.

He barely squeezed next to Fredrick by now. Darryl turned to face my eyes almost lovingly. I found myself blushing with seconds. Max kept up this frown, but I could've cared less. I slapped Darryl's hand once he tried to stop Max from speaking with me.

"Touch Darryl again and I'll never even look at you, Max." I warned my ex. He tossed up both hands in surrender at this moment. Fredrick and Turk paid us no mind. I reached over for some of my lunch and just chewed away, tastefully of course.

"Look, I'm sorry about that. I overreacted and almost jeopardized graduation." Max tried to defend himself. Failed obviously.

"That doesn't change anything." I mumbled to him. "You almost strangled your best friend."

"Baby, I..." Max stopped once Darryl spoke up. The whole table became silent now. I reached over for my lunch again.

"Don't call her that anymore." Darryl lowered his voice. "Choking me or not, you never deserved to have her, Max."

I cut my gaze toward Darryl, but he pushed on with speaking to his friend. I looked over to find Turk stuffing his face with more food as some sort of distraction. Awkward laughter escaped my lips at this moment.

"You can't tell me what to do, Mickey Mouse." Max failed to threaten. "I had her first, so back off." Chirping birds sounded pleasantly around us at this spot.

"First doesn't mean anything if you're willing to upset people she cares about." Darryl scoffed. I even refused his kiss on the cheek. He tried to reason with me as we locked gazes, but nothing worked.

"Leslie?" Max shrunk.

'No." I refused. "Everything was great until you decided to choke him. What did he do deserve something like that? I know you're not that stupid."

"Babe..." Max failed once more to sway me with that endearment.

"No." I repeated. "I have to visit tutoring anyway. Excuse me, you guys." I cleaned up my own trash and excused myself before long.

__

Fried after school and homework, I just laid out on my top bunk that night. Yvonne finally returned to campus, but Witness Protection never budged. I'd still leave in December. I'd never embraced someone so tightly in my life after she walked through the door. With or without this dreadful news, it was just good to speak to someone with Estrogen flowing their veins.

"Sorry." Yvonne apologized for the umpteenth round. I shook my head listening to her voice as she sat down on the lower bunk.

"What the hell can we do? Where can I go? If I stay with The Kid again, Calvin might think something's up." I began to worry as usual. "And you know Mom's out of the question. I'm not losing her over this."

"You could always bunk with me just like this." Yvonne offered. "I won't tell anyone but your Mother."

"Harboring a fugitive. Guilty by association, remember?" I clenched my teeth and turned lay on my stomach.

"Yes, but you didn't kill anyone during your relationship with Nelson, Leslie. You just engaged with him at the wrong time." Yvonne tried to make sense.

"Still, he's a murdering fugitive. Not the best combination if you ask me." I rolled my eyes.

"If you know that he's risky, why associate with him in the first place?" Yvonne scolded me now. Her glare turned to face my bunk overhead."

My patience grew thin while seconds passed by. "How the hell was I supposed to know that I fugitive would stroll into the diner? He didn't seem hostile or anything, Vonnie."

"That's how they all start off." Yvonne took off a university sweatshirt of her own. "I even told you to stay away from Jerome, but you just bought coffee for all them and paid the bill. Yours too."

"None of them carried guns and respected me. You just kept a stick up your ass." I scoffed once more. Yvonne spoke up again from her spot.

"I'm an attorney. And for the first time in years, I realized a conflict of interest. I know Nelson and that generous façade pulled you into the mafia world. Thank God you've decided not to visit that place anymore."

I cringed. "Like I said, Calvin would lose his mind if he found out."

"As slippery as Nelson is, he'd never let Calvin speak to you, let alone come near your personal space." I finally moved down the ladder to face Yvonne as she spoke. Her arms folded in a sweater. I'd expect that choice of attire given the fall season.

"Come back with me in December. I can sleep at night knowing that you're safe." Yvonne looked at me with sad eyes.

What could I tell Darryl now? 

Lessons || MJजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें