Patching Up

We took a taxi to my building. Me and Sarah hadn't spoken for days. It was time I made it up with her. I had gotten over my fury at her for having our salaries deducted.

We met almost everyday, but never uttered a word to each other. That made me feel kind of sad, so I decided to mend things.

I rung the bell. Frank opened the door. Again.

He saw me and frowned. However, his frown loosened when he saw his best friend, Matt.

'Hey! What's up?' Frank said.

'Hey buddy! I'm good, but what's up with the ladies here?'

'Some girly matter. Sarah just told me not to let Libby enter if she ever came by. But the same doesn't imply for you,' Frank grinned.

'No way!' Matt said. 'If I go in, Libby goes in.'

'Then we might have a problem,' Frank shrugged.

'No, we don't,' Matt said. 'SARAH!'

Sarah came running.

'What's wrong?' Sarah asked frantically. Then, she saw me.
'Oh,' was all she said.

'Well? You girls do your thing, I'm a busy man,' Matt said as he chest bumped Frank and went in with him.

'Boys,' Sarah rolled her eyes.

'Yeah,' I said.

An awkward silence followed.

'Hey, listen. I'm sorry for losing my temper that day. I was in a really bad mood and you kept talking—'

'Well, talking is in my nature!' Sarah snapped. 'That's something you should've known.'

'Hey! I'm sorry, okay? I was really not myself!' I defended myself.

'Yeah, sure,' Sarah rolled her eyes.

'Look, this really isn't helping. You need to believe me, even if it's just for the sake of it,' I sighed.

'I'm not a very forgiving person. You need to pay for what you did,' Sarah looked at me, expressionless.

'Haven't I already? We haven't been talking for weeks now. I'm sorry, I really am,' I said.

'I know. Seven weeks and four days, to be exact,' Sarah said.

'Please, please , please can we make up? It's been a month now,' I said giving my best puppy face.

Sarah continued to stare at me until I started to tickle her. She giggled like a five year old.

'If you don't forgive me,' I said. 'I'll tickle you for eternity!'

'Okay—FINE!' she said catching her breath. 'I forgive you and I'm sorry for being dumb.'

'Yaay! There you go! We are good again,' I said in a childish voice.

Sarah smiled at me. I hugged her.

We both went inside to find the boys having a thumb fight with loud music booming from Sarah's speakers.

Sarah and I looked at each other and rolled our eyes together.

'Hey, Frank!' Sarah half-shouted to be heard. 'Turn off the music and lets do somethin' else!'

Matt turned off the music. 'Watch a movie?' he suggested. I smiled remembering that today was supposed to be our movie date.

'Yeah, that's a good idea,' Frank agreed. 'Which one?'

'17 Again?' Sarah asked.

'No rom-coms, please,' I said. 'Let's watch "The Godfather".'

Everyone seemed to like the idea and we started watching the classic.

In the middle of the movie, Frank and Sarah cuddled. I thought it was a good idea and hugged Matt. When Matt hugged me back, Sarah and Frank stared at him. Matt gave them a steely look back. They shook their heads and continued watching.

I sensed something wrong. 'What's wrong?' I whispered to Matt.

He shook his head and gave me his dazzling smile. I forgot all about the incident like a love-sick teen and stared at the television screen, thinking about my future in NYC.

----------------------------------------------------------–-------------------------