The Soccer Game

I sat on the bench next to my teammates with my red and gold jersey and my blue jeans. My number was 1 for Hope Solo. She was so cool and I thought I was going to be like her. I was a goalie. Coach Brewer stands next to the bench. "What do you think about putting in April as goalkeeper, Lauren?" I'm shocked and flattered that she would ask me a question.

"April's punts aren't high enough and she doesn't see the field as well as Erin. I would put Erin in. She might not have as long a punt as April but hers are always accurate." I smiled. It felt good to think soccer again.

"Good idea. Do you still have your gloves?" Coach Brewer responded. I nodded. I grabbed them out of Aubrey's backpack and tossed them to her. I gave Erin my keeper pants and my keeper jersey. She went out onto the field and played awesome. We beat the Quinton Academy Eagles! I congratulated all the girls and told Erin how amazing she played. "All right, girls, practice on Tuesday after school. Unfortunately, we don't think Lauren will be able to come back," I blink away tears, "So, if this is okay with Lauren, I would like to make her the goalkeeper trainer." I was shocked again. Everyone cheered and shouted in approval.

"Okay. I would love to!" I smiled and tried to mask my great sadness. I wished I could still play. I hoped against hope that I could walk again. My phone rung. It was Sherrie. "Hello?"

"Hey, Lauren. Your dad is having to work late so I am going to take you to the doctor." I hung up and wheeled across the court. I hoped my injury would be like Kaka's. I heard a couple jeers from some of the team players on the Eagles. I sighed and ignored them. I felt like saying and doing vulgar things but bit my lip. I lifted myself out of my wheelchair and into the car. Even though I was in a wheelchair, my arms had gotten stronger than they were before. Sherrie put my wheelchair in the backseat. The car ride was silent. I just stared out my window until it was time. When we reach the hospital I stare at Sherrie. She was a pretty woman. She was a lawyer. Her hair was twisted into a tight bun of dark hair. Her pale skin and her white face smooth. Her eyes were gray as stone and her face was twisted into a severe look. "We are here." She said. Sherrie opened my door and put my wheelchair out and I scrambled into it. I looked up at the big letters on the hospital. It read "POTE COUNTY HOSPITAL." Sherrie opened the door and we entered.