Chapter 4

Wednesday, November 9th 5am

Dana was walking down the hallway. Today she had planned to grab a coffee and a little breakfast before work today with Fox.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sunday, November 6th 2pm

Dana was at home, washing dishes in the sink, with the radio turned on. She hated how silent it was at home and would usually turn something on to make white noise, like the television or radio.

Ring!...Ring!...

On the third ring she picked up, after rinsing her soapy hands off and wiping them on a kitchen rag.

"Dana Scully."

"Scully, it's me."

She paused for a second, recognizing Mulder's voice.

"Mulder, what's this about?," it was silent for a moment and she finally spoke again, "why didn't you just come over to talk to me?"

"Oh, well I was on the road when it finally came to me... I was wondering if you would like to come over to my family's house for thanksgiving."

There was an aching silence once again,

"As a friend...or a date, whichever one you're more comfortable with."

She had to think for a moment about it. Did she really want to go over to her family's for thanksgiving? The family who's never really asked her how her life is going, anything about her. It was mostly about Bill Jr. or Charles, her brothers.

Even though Charles has been gone for a while, no contact with anyone, that still seems to be the big topic at every family gathering.

Her littler sister, Melissa, was on the same boat. She's really into all of that fortune telling and the 'people on the other side' kind of business, but truly did love her though, she was the only one she could really connect with and tell anything to. Although sometimes, somehow, it would get leaked to mom.

"Uhh...Dana?"

"Yeah? Oh yeah...I'll have to call my mom and tell her I won't be there for thanksgiving, but yeah I'll be there."

"Oh my g-of course you have family to go too, I don't know, I️ guess I️ wasn't thinking. I️ guess since I️ never hear you talk a lot about your family, my mind just convinced me you had no where to be. You don't have to come if you don't want to. I don't want to force this on you."

"No, no, it's fine. My family is kind of a bother to be around anyways."

"Alright. Okay. Umm...well I would say to be ready around two, but are you okay with a drive?"

"How long of a drive?"

"Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts long...so probably four hours almost."

"Oh well that's quite a long time to be in a car with you, I don't know if I'll be able to survive," she amused herself.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Dana knocked gently on the door of his apartment with her knuckles. Fox opened the door scratching his five o clock shadow,

"Hey, let me just grab my wallet, be right back." He walked into another room and returned after a minute.

"Okay. Let's go." Dana began walking first and Fox followed, quickly catching up using his longer stride.

They walked outside, the wind hitting their faces. Once they got in Dana's 1996 Ford Taurus. they buckled in and she tried unsuccessfully starting up the car twice. She tried once more and the soft hum began.

"Im sure that's relieving," Fox turned smiling with his gleaming brown eyes. Dana sighed, "yeah...it's a rental."

She tried to smile but just like the effort to start the car quickly, she was unsuccessful. They sat for a moment, warming their hands up.

The drive lasted only a few minutes and they arrived at 1535 7th St. N. W. Compass Cafe.

They sat down in two wooden chairs and ordered. Dana got a small coffee and Fox got a large, silently revealing the irony of their heights.

Dana thought of how extraordinarily ordinary he seemed

He stared down at her and took a sip. He seemed a bit sour this morning and she had no idea why. Fox watched as she lifted the rim to her lips and blew gently on the coffee.

Before tipping the mug towards her mouth she asked, "so what are the plans for today?"

He looked up, almost a little dumbstruck, "well, let's see...we have to stop by the bank and I️ should call my mother and tell her about thanksgiving. You're not planning on canceling are you?"

"Of course not."

"Then we have the Stanton case," He smiled and sipped his coffee.

"That one woman who believes her family is being turned into cows by her satanic worshipping farmer neighbor?" Her eyebrows furrowed.

"Things get wild in Ohio," he rhymed
taking a glance at his watch then faced Scully,

"We better get going." Dana turned and checked the clock on the wall,

"You're right," she jumped up from her chair and dug through her purse for the keys and asked gently,

"Are you okay Mulder, you're looking a little pale."

"Dana, I'm fine, honestly." She paused and gave him a glance.

"We're gonna be late if you keep worrying about me."

Dana's head was tilted just so slightly to where her hair fell into her face.

"Well I can't find the keys," she started hectically and he watched as she pushed the fallen hair behind her ear.

"What would you do without me?" Fox gleamed, lifting the keys from behind her coffee cup, and dangling them in the air.

"I would not survive," she smiled, grabbed the keys, and planted a soft kiss on Fox's cheek.

She began towards the door, turning around for a moment not even realizing what she had done until she saw him smiling and following behind her.

___________________________
Sorry for this chapter being so short

btw if there's any confusion...

*~*~* is a flashback
----- is the same day
____is a new day

~Littlemiss022