Chapter 7

Saturday, December 24th 10pm

Dana was at her mother's house, setting the last present underneath the Christmas tree and then placing herself down on the couch.

Her mother stood next to the couch with her arms crossed and she smiled down at Dana, "I'm glad you're here with us, Dana."

"Me too, mom."

She continued to smile gently down at her and then after telling her daughter that she was going to bed they shared a hug and she walked up the stairs.

Dana sat in silence, watching the angel on top of the tree. She thought of when she was a kid and when her mother had given her and Melissa the cross necklaces, one she wore everyday.

Maybe she was glad she didn't have anyone to be with on Christmas, her mother was an angel herself. Dana hated the way she treated her mother when she was a teenager, all the cruel things she said.

Then maybe this was God's way of punishing her, or maybe just showing her the way. Maybe he wanted her to see that family should not be taken for granted.

As giggles and laughter echoed from outside, she stopped thinking about god and her mother, and leaned to get a look out the window.

The neighbors across the street were yelling and throwing snow at each other. They were a newly engaged couple and hadn't cared what others thought about the way they flaunted their love to the world.

The man tackled the woman to the ground and they laid in the snow together, just staring at one another. The snow fell gently and they kissed one another.

Why can't she just not be confused for once? Her heart wants one thing yet her brain wants another. It's like her body is trying to tear her in two.

Ring!

She was knocked out of her thoughts and back into reality,

"Scully."

"Scully, it's me."

Isn't it weird how things work out like this?

"Mulder, what're you doing up this late on Christmas Eve?" She checked her watch that read 11:27.

"Well ho ho ho to you to, do you think you're the only one in the world that has to play Santa?"

She sighed and left silence on her end as to read, well get to the point already!

"Anyways. I'm calling to ask you about the Heismans' case."

"Mulder, it's Christmas Eve. Can't you let this rest till we get back to work?"

"It's eating at me, Scully. I just don't understand this."

"Understand what?"

"Why would Dr. Heisman put his wife in a mental institution if he knew she wasn't insane?"

"The woman claimed to have seen her neighbor turn into a dog, Mulder. You don't think that's some sign that she might be just a bit psychotic?"