Chapter 5

Wednesday, November 23th 3am

Dana woke up with her head pounding. She ran to the bathroom and felt as her stomach churned. She allowed the motions her body took to release the vomit.

She tried standing up but the heat rose quickly to her face and she hurled again, this time a little more harshly. After a few minutes, she began shaking and shivering.

She ran to the bed hurriedly while her head pounded and queasiness flushed her body. She tore the blanket from the bed and returning to the toilet once more to vomit. She wiped the faint tears that fell from her eyes as her stomach churned and nose began to run.

Dana thought of what she was going to have to say to Mulder. It was Thanksgiving, and she was going to have to tell him that she couldn't be there to meet his parents. She didn't want to let him down but couldn't imagine throwing up in the bathroom while his family sat at the table and tried to eat.

She raised her head and peeked beyond the doorframe of the bathroom, towards the phone next to her bed. She planned her route. She couldn't stand up without feeling sick so she would slowly crawl towards the nightstand, grab the phone and call Mulder.

Dana let the blanket fall from her shoulders as she began crawling. The carpet compressed between her fingers and toes. She moved one after another, her knees beginning to ache.

She finally reached the nightstand where she extended her arm to grab the phone. She was short an inch and cursed her petite size all around.

Dana used her fingertips to push herself onto her knees. She grabbed the phone quickly in her palms and sunk back down as the queasiness started in her stomach once more.

She pressed the buttons and the order of Mulder's cell and listened as it rang four times. He picked up with a faint 'hello?' with the hint of the Just Woke Up voice.

"Mulder."

"I see..." His voice sounded forgiving.

"How'd you kn-

"Why else would you be calling at three in the morning?"

Dana was silent for a moment and he began again.

"It's fine, Scully, really." This time his voice dragged on and felt very patient.

"I'm sorry it's just I've come down with something."

"Scully, it's not gonna kill me if you tell me you're just not interested."

"That's not-

"I'm not some pathetic kid who can't take a hint."

"Mulder!" The conversation paused with silence that seemed to go on forever.

"...what?"

"Could you please just listen?" It was quite but she could here a mhm and decided to go on.

"I think I've come down with something, maybe a stomach bug. I just hope it's not the flu." She felt her stomach twist in knots.

"Hmm...well I️ just read up on this doctor a while ago who was traveling up in the Himalayans and got really sick. He hunted and killed a yak, and ate it's liver. He survived. Not that I️t really was worth I️t because a few months later he died after falling out the women's-who he was having an affair with-apartment. They would've ruled I️t manslaughter if the video footage from the CNNs report just outside the apartment building didn't catch him jumping off of the ledge after his wife walked in on them...I've heard truly grass fed animals have the healthiest livers."