Chapter 40

*Jade's POV*

It's been one day after the incident in the town and I have already lost count at how many times I had thrown up. My head is pounding and throbbing because of the pressure in my throat. It's fair to say that my day hasn't exactly been dandy.

I'm resting near a small lake that was hidden deep in the forest. It's calm and it's exactly what I need right now.

So many scenarios have come and gone multiple times until one had really struck me.

I couldn't possibly be. . .

I stopped mid thought and shook my head. No, I can't be.

I sat down by the pretty, clear lake and cupped some water onto my hands. The cold liquid went down my throat and I sighed in content.

I rested my head on my knees and drew a heart with my fingertips on the dirt. I giggled as I drew a little happy face inside the big heart.

I smiled sadly after a while of looking at the dirt. I wonder what they're doing right now?

*Alex's POV*

"Yes Alpha Rodes. Thank you."

I hung up the phone for the hundreth time today and sighed.

"What did they say?" Eric asked hopefully

"Denied. Again." I answered with no emotion in my voice.

For the past couple of days, I have contacted dozens and dozens of packs residing near us, to lend a hand in our search but every single attempt would end in failure. Every single pack has heard about mine and the history of what happened years ago.

I'd explain the situation we were in and they wanted no part in it.

Fucking cowards.

"N-now what do we do?" Zaiden asked. I looked over at Connor who just stood in the corner with his back leaning against the wall in silence. Fists clenched.

"We keep at it." Is all I said as I picked up the phone and dialed one of the many numbers I had in mind.

*Connor's POV*

I stared out the window of Alex's office with only one person in mind.

Gosh how much I miss her. This feeling inside me won't let me rest. The possibility that Jade could be in danger is excruciating. She's powerful and strong and that is exactly what worries me.

Jade has already unleashed her power once and I'm worried that it may happen again, but this time much worse than before.

The memory of myself, Alex, Eric and Zaiden picking up the demolished bodies of the pack is something I wish I could forget. I have been around death multiple times in my life but this one was too much. I shivered at the image of the wide, empty, dead eyes that starred back at me.

Jade caused that but even so, my love for her has lessoned not one bit.

I looked over at Alex who had scanned hundreds of documents for the past days but nothing has worked so far.

"I understand. Thank you anyways Alpha James." Alex hung up the phone in silence. He said nothing as he picked up another document, opened it, and reached for the phone once again.

Even though he doesn't show it, I know how Alex feels and I'm slightly amused at how he's taking the "progress". He may seem calm and collected but that vein popping out of his neck shows otherwise.

Hopefully other vampires won't have the guts to come near this area to take over because if that happens, we'd be in deeper shit.

I've contemplated on reaching out to the moon goddess for help or for at least something but I'm still not so sure.